In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of war)veterano de guerra masculinoveterana de guerra femenino(soldier) veteranoa veteran of the Second World War — un veterano de la Segunda Guerra Mundial
- A blend of young talent and experienced veterans is a good one to have in today's NFL.
- Graham was a veteran member and former chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
- The team is in dire need of an experienced veteran to back him up and hopes to sign one before the regular season.
- It will be of little interest to Venice veterans or art historians, who will still prefer the guidebooks.
- Other senior positions have also been filled by experienced, if hard-headed, veterans of the diplomatic world.
- The field is full of veterans who want to race and aren't afraid of trading a little paint for position.
- Even as the song was being sung, the veteran music director, sat as if in a transport reliving the creation of this song.
- Separately, however, they were veterans of the festival experience as solo performers.
- Now that the veteran is in the master's category he is able to boast having shot his age no less than 27 times.
- An esteemed veteran actor with a penchant for the unpredictable arrived and sat under a painting of fairies in a field.
- Would you like to talk with someone who is a veteran of the Congress experience?
- Not only was he the leading over 45, but he also beat the best of the over 40s to cross the line as the leading veteran.
- Then there's another police chief, suspicious of the veteran cop's dubious tactics on the job.
- The new players have provided tough competition to the veterans in the field.
- He has become the spine of a team which blends experienced veterans and youth.
- It will be a good learning experience for the newcomers, and, hopefully, the veterans can help the younger ones.
- This veteran found the experience so outlandish that he could not tell anyone about it.
- The children hear the story of this remarkable joint endeavour as experienced by these three veterans.
- Gabrielle told Annie that veterans were very keen to share their experience and that they were all fantastic.
- Doherty is an internet veteran after working in the multimedia, design and internet field since 1994.
2EEUU(of military service)licenciado del servicio militar masculino
- This originated in the experience of US veterans in the aftermath of Vietnam.
- Most veterans are too traumatised or embarrassed to discuss their experiences.
- But Afghanistan is the sort of experience that can screw up a veteran once he's home.
- Second World War veterans and serving members of the armed forces will march together to commemorate the end of the war in Europe.
- US veterans and military justice experts were less willing to jump to judgment.
- Joining us now with some perspective, three very distinguished military veterans.
- I do, however, have a big problem with people who claim to be military or veterans, but aren't.
- Army veterans who served in World War Two have joined the campaign to save their former regiment.
- The description was wholeheartedly endorsed by veterans who served under the Brigadier.
- The 1500 students were joined by war veterans and special commemorative plaque was unveiled.
- Various agencies serving veterans say they are swamped with phone calls asking for help.
- As part of that, veterans will be visiting schools to talk about their experiences.
- They were already veterans, selected for special missions because of their bravery and endurance.
- On Friday he joins up with hundreds of D-Day veterans for a special tribute in France.
- We all remember the experiences of the veterans we have known in our lives.
- The US secretary of state is a Vietnam veteran who has commanded field units at almost every level.
- He added that some parts of the occupied country were filling up with veterans from the British special forces.
- On June 25, the museum is calling all former airborne and special forces veterans to come to a special day of events at Elvington.
- He was one of several MPs from all parties who supported those campaigning for a medal for veterans who served in Egypt.
- Scott was shown over the site of the Battle of the Boyne by an old veteran and was delighted by the experience.
3(experienced person)veterano masculinoveterana femenino(actor/reporter) veteranoa veteran of local politics — un veterano de la política local
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.