In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Historiavilla femeninoa Roman villa — una villa romana
2(holiday house)chalet masculinomasculino chaletfemenino casa de campoa holiday/seaside villa — un chalet para las vacaciones/en la playa
- The full desiderata of resort luxury is here, including huge seafront grounds private villas and fine dining - not to mention a spa where the healing hands are exceptional.
- A plethora of restaurants, hotels, villas and resorts are located in Ubud and cooking classes are available to tourists.
- It contains substantial villas set within landscaped grounds and a number of mature forest trees which provide a green backdrop.
- Kuredu is one of the largest in the northern atoll, with accommodation for about 700; a mixture of beach bungalows, and luxurious water villas on stilts, all boldly aimed at those who've just tied the knot.
- But wait a minute… didn't someone at work go to Florida last year and stay in a luxurious rental villa?
- Apartment complexes and luxurious villas testify to the domestic lives of the inhabitants.
- The languid novel follows a fantastically rich American couple who hold court in villas across Europe.
- The two men were found in a luxurious villa on the west bank of the River Euphrates where a deadly AK47 pistol was also discovered.
- The villa and its grounds had attracted no other wayfarers; the ruined stables would be comfortable enough.
- Clustered around the spa, each of the 20 luxurious spa water villas is a heavenly retreat.
- He has six villas in Europe, including one in Geneva, and two more in Russia and China.
- In towns and cities, housing ranges from European-style villas to make-shift huts and lean-tos (rakuba).
- Hotel rooms and villas at the resort range from $917 to $4,179 per week, so it's a little steep for budget travelers.
- Mauritius built its name around luxury hotels, many of which have one or more private villas in their grounds, offering a combination of home living and hotel services.
- Currently, Boyle lives in a luxurious villa in Cap d' Antibes, an exclusive enclave on the French Riviera between Nice and Cannes.
- Near the grounds of their summer villa at Ramon was a small village called Olgino.
- There is a range of accommodation on the resort itself, from the five-star hotel to self-catering villas and apartments.
- The resort includes villas, a swimming pool, a desert-style golf course, and a spa.
- The resort features elegant cliffside villas, wooden cottages and specialized camping platforms which allow visitors to enjoy real outdoor living.
- The villa consisted of extensive grounds, a manor house and outbuildings.
- New developments, apartments, balconied villas, shops and restaurants are springing up everywhere.
- New tower blocks and luxury villas are sprouting just as demand for them has started easing, analysts said.
- During spring and summer, villas in Europe will be very popular, says Stuart Douglas-Lee of Abercrombie & Kent.
- Several hours surfing later and Paul had located a luxurious villa, not quite in Japan, but just an hour's time difference away.
- Hotels, villas and restaurants ready to accommodate holidaymakers have sprouted in profusion on the mountainside.
- While Ursula travels from the train station to their villa, Lamberto - a local young stud - steals a ride in her car.
- With no coaches to take them to their resorts from airports on the Spanish islands, many have had to queue for hours for overstretched taxi services to hotels, villas and apartments.
- They made fun of the capitalist system while the élite lived in these luxurious villas and ate the best.
- Developers have taken leases on the Grenadines for centuries; it is just that they planted Mustique with luxurious villas rather than with the cotton or sugar of times past.
- The dominant element of this period in Shanghai's history was fashion and hedonism, and many of the villas had swimming pools, tennis courts and billiard rooms; some had music rooms and ballrooms.
- Nudist resorts run the gamut from modest camping grounds to luxury villas with posh amenities.
- A small group continued to meet in the villa next to the chapel, and some of these people are believed to have emigrated to Australia.
- It is, for all practical purposes, a modern city with all the amenities, including high-rise offices, expensive villas, restaurants, and cinemas.
- The pictures were painted at the Hoods' luxurious four-bedroom villa in the French village of Opio in Provence last summer.
- If you really want to stay in grand style, or if you are travelling with a gaggle of friends or family members, rent one of the privately owned Spanish-style villas within the hotel grounds.
- It boasts fine restaurants, immaculate hotels and glitzy bars amidst its colonial villas and venerable pagodas.
- Blair flew off to a luxury villa at the New Tower hotel complex overlooking the Red Sea.
- The wedding market in Bali is booming, with wedding organizers, villas, restaurants and even five-star hotels catering to the practical demands of love.
- I am staying at the exclusive marina of Port St Charles, on the west of the island, a coastline characterised by grand hotels, substantial villas and private mansions.
- The whole resort featured 156 luxurious Malaysian-style villas, with various suites and estates scattered amidst the lush rainforest, white beaches and rocky headlands.
- The resort will also consist of apartments and villas surrounding a marina, and with restaurants, shops, casino, swimming pool complex and promenade.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.