In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for MA, PhD) defensa de la tesis femenino(for BA) examen oral que decide la nota global de la licenciatura
- ‘Sorry about the poor performance in the viva,’ I said.
- To decide his fate, he would have to face a viva, a personal interview with the examiners.
- I would love to be able to tell the story of my viva, but can't.
- When performance assessment did occur, as in specialty certification, the traditional viva dominated.
- Our readers should know he cut a fine figure in subfusc on his way to his viva.
- The clinical assessors studied 50 case records culled randomly from the past six months' activity, and on the second day I had a two hour viva on selected records.
- He submitted his thesis ‘Compound Verb in Bengali’ in 1975 and appeared for the viva.
- They are made over a course of preparation, of examination, of vivas, of evaluation, of letters, of assessments.
- Anyway, I managed to squeeze into my exam suit and, in between feeds, nip over to the royal college to do my vivas.
- The project viva turned out to be smooth sailing.
- But it was the viva which frightened me to death.
- He was said to be the ‘ablest historian of his year’, but he had failed to get a first, and seemed now to be acting out some endless redemptive viva.
- My supervisor informs me that my paper looks fine to submit and informs me the date of my first-year viva.
- Now, after long years, they meet again in California, where she has just walked out of her viva, and he has finished a stint as a visiting professor.
- From a personal point of view the case note viva was the most traumatic part as I learnt that I can make simple mistakes that I would not expect a junior doctor to make.
- I recall going for my anatomy viva in June 1964, at the end of my first year at Cambridge.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.