In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A volcanic cone is composed of material ejected from the volcano.
- According to geologists, mountains are formed because of volcanic activity or the movement of the plates of the earth.
- However, many of these basins experienced intense volcanic activity which may have caused local folding.
- They suggest that the volcanic constructions on rifted margin segments develop through five main phases.
- Such communities use the volcanic emissions as their sole source of energy.
- We estimate the magma production, erosion and marine depositional rates of volcanic products.
- The seabed is a combination of volcanic ash, black sand and mud, strewn with the detritus of a million passing boats.
- This confirms that the tension fractures were formed during the volcanic activity.
- Old lava flows and beds of volcanic ash underlie the surface of much of this part of Colorado.
- More than 80 Vesuvius eruptions were listed in a recent worldwide directory of volcanic activity.
- This caused thermal uplift of Scotland and the East Shetland platform and volcanic activity.
- At least three phases of volcanic activity are present within the Erenlerdag Volcanic Complex.
- Timau was an obvious choice in that the area has a temperate climate and fertile volcanic soils.
- The trees thrive in tropical conditions near the sea, and seem to prefer volcanic soils, as in the Moluccas and Grenada.
- At the base of the food chain are bacteria that dwell in the searing fluids belching from the volcanic vents.
- Volcanologists now monitor the frequency of volcanic activity in an effort to predict eruptions.
- These became later covered in ash and dust from volcanic eruptions in the region.
- In addition to scoria and ash, other volcanic ejecta include blocks, bombs, and xenoliths.
- Even scarier and more destructive than volcanic mudflows are pyroclastic flows or glowing avalanches.
- However, this folding mechanism is thought to be related to the nearest volcanic activity.
- Football's corporate wing is doing its best to raise the level of excitement about the competition to volcanic levels.
- As he gazes past you into the middle-distance, you sense that he could erupt in a volcanic temper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.