In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Religióndevoto masculinodevota femenino
- It is possible to a great extent to speak of Hinduism as culture rather than as religion (a distinction the votaries of Hindutva reject or blur).
- The Maenads were Dionysus' female votaries who accompanied him when he traveled.
- To these votaries, he is variously the perennial storyteller, the kindly sage, the gentle teacher, the maker of auspicious symbols, and the peripatetic gardener of images.
- There is invariably a reciprocal relationship between the votary and the saint to whom a vow is made; if the votary receives the demanded protection, healing, or victory, he or she must meet the obligation made at the time of the vow.
- The conflict between the votaries of Hindutva votaries and the Left-secular intellectuals has preoccupied the media.
- Muslims are vulnerable as they usually face discrimination and harassment if the boss happens to be a Hindutva votary.
- It is unclear whether they represent deities or votaries.
- The two votaries transitioned from their standing posture to a kind of rhythmic bowing and finally into a repetitive genuflecting motion.
- This lends to parts of the writing a rather contrived air which has evoked a sympathetic response from some of his modern votaries but which has produced a cooler reaction amongst more critically inclined commentators.
- This eclectic mix of essays reminds us that democracy can be both an asset and a liability to its votaries in time of war.
- They are local votaries of heritage preservation, yet their voice remains largely unheard.
- Myths about him relate how with this irregular army of votaries he conquers Asia Minor and India, subduing all who try to resist him when he attacks them with his madness.
- In time, both find their votaries deserting them to worship the god of riches, and so apply for readmission to the heavens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.