In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(rate of pay)sueldo masculinosalario masculino formalwages — (actual money paid or received) sueldo masculino
- a decent wage — un sueldo decente
- he's on a low wage — tiene un salario bajo
- she earns a good wage — gana un buen sueldo
- at the moment she's earning good wages — actualmente está sacando bastante dinero
- a day's wages — un jornal
- he gambled his week's wages — se jugó el sueldo / la paga de una semana
- I'll pay you when I get my wages — te pagaré cuando cobre
- the wages of sin is death — el pecado se paga con la muerte
- before noun wage agreement — acuerdo salarial
- wage bargaining / negotiations — negociaciones salariales
- wage claim — reivindicación salarial
- wage demand — demanda salarial
- wage increase — mejora salarial / de sueldo
- wage labor / (British) labour — mano de obra asalariada
- wage restraint — moderación salarial
- wage rise — aumento salarial / de sueldo
- wage round — serie de negociaciones salariales
- wage scale — escala salarial
- wages clerk — empleada encargada del pago de nóminas
- wage slip — recibo de sueldo
- wages snatch — robo de nómina
- wage talks — negociaciones salariales
- Many of us earn an average wage and as things stand now would not be able to afford private health care.
- My entitlement is based on my earnings two years ago when I was earning a good wage.
- Therefore, there is a working class that is turning into daily wage labor.
- The tight labor market meant that workers in all wage groups earned more money.
- The intention is to force up unemployment, drive down wages and reduce taxation.
- I'm thinking it'll cost half my daily wages in cab fare, but it might just be worth it.
- This is already the case for ministers of state, who employ their drivers on a fixed wage.
- An average worker on a full-time wage is taxed less than in Australia, as a proportion of wages.
- A multinational behind glamorous fashion and perfume brands pays its factory workers starvation wages.
- Of course, those poor people who were lucky enough to have jobs at the minimum wage would now be earning lower wages.
- In retirement, most people would love to earn the average wage per annum.
- Careful tracking of the production of each worker was kept and served as the basis for wage payment.
- They were weary of working twelve hour days, seven days a week for subsistence wages.
- Workers pay taxes on cash wages but not on fringe benefits like health insurance.
- Rises earlier this year in tax and national insurance mean that average take-home wages are falling.
- My wife and I are in our late 20s and are earning below national average wages.
- In just 5 years the wages and salaries earned by New Zealanders have increased by 32 percent.
- But United pay his weekly wages so Keane is careful not to tread on the precious egos of anybody still at the club.
- Many can't afford to take this time off, because they receive no wage or social welfare payment while they do so.
- That means a writer not only has to write, but crucially, have accepted, three plays a year just to earn the national average wage.
1to wage war on / against sb — hacerle la guerra a algn
- to wage a campaign against sth — hacer (una) campaña contra algo
- to wage war on inflation/crime — luchar contra / hacerle la guerra a la inflación/la delincuencia
- the struggle is being waged on many fronts — la batalla se está librando en varios frentes
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.