In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Anatomía(waistline) cintura femenino(waistline) talle masculino(distance from shoulder to waistline) talle masculinothe skirt is too tight around the waist — la falda le (or me etc.) queda apretada de cintura / talle
- he only comes up to my waist — solo me llega a la cintura
- to be stripped to the waist — estar desnudo de la cintura para arriba
- she has a short waist — es corta de talle
- before noun waist measurement — medida de cintura
- The result is that the typical female form is almost straight, in contrast to the narrow waists and curves of the 1950s woman.
- Women with waists measuring 35 inches or greater are considered to be at elevated risk.
- But almost anyone who has tried to reclaim her waist can point to weeks or months when it doesn't seem to work that way.
- A set-in waistband hints at a waist, while the flared hemline softens a boxy shape.
- I once dated a girl who had a very boyish build - a thick waist and no hourglass shape at all.
- The waist circumference thresholds are not reliable in patients with a BMI greater than 35.
- I have lost two inches in my waist through exercise and healthy eating, but that hasn't given me any curves.
- Ancient statues have been found of men and women with 10-inch (!) waists!
- How lovely to think that even those with 24-inch waists will be forced to cover them up from now on.
- Her figure was not slim or round, but ideally in the middle, with an hourglass waist.
- I'm not sure how I managed to gain 5 inches on my waist that fast.
- To this end we have recently had published the first waist circumference centile curves for British children and adolescents.
- My waist went down two inches, to 32, mostly from laying off potatoes - French and mashed.
- Swimmers with this body type are more muscular, thick-chested with broad shoulders and a smaller waist.
- He has one of those narrow, washboard waists that most of us can only dream about.
- It's guaranteed to help you lose two inches from your waist in just four weeks.
- In five weeks he has lost 19 lb, his waist has shrunk by two inches and his blood pressure is down.
- In connection to chaps, they are made with exceptional fit to emphasize the thighs and waists of women.
- Oh and it has also been pointed out to me that this shirt will only look good on people with super skinny waists like this model here.
- Angers is stood sideways, arms raised to emphasise his waist and ribcage.
- The costume in question is designed by corset designer Mr Pearl, who has forced his waist down to 18 inches by wearing corsets day and night.
- Chef to the stars Juliano is the gourmet genius who has created a diet that he claims has taken years off Demi's appearance and inches off her waist.
- According to a recent UK national sizing survey, women's waists have grown from around 27 inches to a meaty 34 inches since 1951.
- I mean, yes, it's nice to now be two inches less around the waist, but…
- Abdominal fat cells happily inflate to accommodate more fuel, widening your waist inch by inch.
- Wide angular shoulders filled out his suit jacket, but it hung loosely to a narrow waist.
- A tailor will also fit your shirts, which can help make your waist seem narrower and your shoulders broader.
- The fabric was printed with a simple design, and the full skirt accentuated her tiny waist.
- While you might not like the $300 price tag, generally European cuts are far more flattering to guys with narrow waists/shoulders.
- Wrapping yourself in seaweed to reduce the size of your waist is another con.
- Imagine you completely mess up her measurements and overestimate her bust or waist?
- By the end of the century corsets produced the sinuous body shape of the Gibson girl, with a protruding bust and derrière, and small waist.
- I plaited her hair so that it fell in one long rope of yellow to her narrow waist.
- His waist size is 36 inches and he has recently lost a stone and a half.
- By this means we are told that waists can be reduced, flat chests inflated, hips broadened and lungs strengthened, to say nothing of reducing weight.
- We found no evidence of any effect on body mass index or waist:hip ratio.
2(of garment)talle masculinoa dress with a high waist — un vestido de talle alto
- They looked fine, a bit on the big side perhaps, but they have an elasticated section in the waist and a draw-cord, so I reckoned it was worth a try.
- Pin your creation on your shoulder, at the waist, on a hat or handbag, even on a cuff at the wrist.
- My jeans have an elastic waist and pockets on the side and larger ones below my knees.
- Play up your figure with fitted tops, spaghetti-strap blouses and dresses, jackets with cinched waists and sleeveless tanks with round, high necklines.
- Jennifer Garner was wearing a pair of khaki pants, pleated at the waist and tapered at the ankle.
- He then shifted his weight from his left to right side allowing his black jacket to open to reveal a gun, tucked into the waist of his jeans.
- Or try a pair of drawstring waist Capri pants that give the same effect.
- She had a small knife, a dagger, and a pistol tucked into her waist.
- Both are very slimming through the hips and the elastic waists are unnoticeable under a top.
- It has two zippered side-entry pockets and high-quality ribbing at the waist and cuffs.
- How I manage is buy things with either elastic waists or things that have overblouses.
- Even with her hair in a pony tail, its length fell just below the small of her back, just so the ends touched the hem on the waist of her jeans.
- At that time, women also commonly wore a loose black gown with a gold stripe around the waist and at the hem.
- This particular form of tailoring is tight and tiny, cut with soft, rounded shoulders, open necklines and small waists which are sometimes belted.
- Drawstring pants with elastic in the waist allow for a closer fit with added flexibility.
- Flopped before the telly, we slowly expand to fill out the elasticated waist of our new training pants.
- For men, the geometry of jacket lapels, shoulder pads and waist tapering emphasize the strong upper body of a male.
- If done in this manner, you can make one ‘side seam’ stitching from the cuff to the waist or to the hem of the garment.
- Sara, having no pockets, stuck the paper into the waist of her sweat pants.
- Often featuring a snap front and drawstring waist, this jacket may be lined or unlined.
3(of ship, aircraft)sección central femenino
- He stood nonchalantly next to the quarter-deck rail looking into the waist.
- Kennedy entered the waist from below decks reaching his hand down the companion to assist her up the steep stairs!
- She is 60 ft long and sleeps 10-four in the bow, four in the stern and two in the waist of the ship.
- Obediently he trundled off towards Red Diamond's waist, where the starboard watch was gathered.
4(of guitar, violin)parte estrecha femenino
- The flats currently used appear to be about 0.04 inch too narrow at the waist and 0.04 inch too long.
- Wellington, a long almond biscuit, rounded at each end with a narrower waist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.