In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Echoes of Art Nouveau, bandes dessines and Japanese anime could be found in the drawings and wall painting of Haluk Akakce, a young New York-based Turkish artist.
- Publications focusing on architectural stenciling emphasize itinerant male artisans and give little credence to the possibility that women might have done their own decorative wall painting.
- Subtitled ‘An interpretation of the chronicle of Fray Gaspar de Carvajal,’ this ensemble of sculptures, drawings and a wall painting examined the first European expedition to navigate the Amazon.
- Various shabby blocks are uplifted by such sweet details as a flowering red mimosa tree, a blue lawn umbrella with yellow table and a happily crude, starburst wall painting of a battery and alternator.
- Lorenzo Pace's installation - involving a wall painting, a children's book, and a white picket fence and stuffed animals on the floor - extends a family history back to slavery and Reconstruction.
- Renovations at St Cadoc's church in south Wales have uncovered a medieval wall painting thought to have been covered up since the Reformation.
- A new wall painting by Richard Long and Monet's Waterlilies gaze at each other balefully and the visitor just whizzes through.
- The pictorial art of fresco or wall painting is a phenomenon of the Second Palace period both on Crete and in the Cyclades, though plain red and geometric plaster patterns are known much earlier.
- The main inspiration for the Colton mural is drawn from the wall painting from Pharaoh Horemheb's tomb.
- His four-panel wall painting, Aspects of Negro Life, which explores the history of African-Americans from early origins into the early 1930s, is the focus of this small exhibition.
- There are, as always, minor points of debate, such as the interpretation of a Cretan wall painting, which depicts friars burning in hell, as hostile to the Catholic conquerors of the island.
- Takano's Universe Dream, a site-specific wall painting, featured her recognizable variations on self-portraits welcoming visitors at the entrance to the museum galleries.
- A wall painting, Arca de Noe 2, is a portrait of a city (it could be Japanese) that centers on a big canal lock in which a trash barge floats.
- Because frescoes in Venice deteriorate rapidly, the sections on wall painting leave a particularly deep impression on the reader.
- The use of the symbol may be different from its use in a Chinese wall painting, but the features of the icon are unchanged.
- This, in turn, was based on a now lost Roman wall painting discovered in 1668 in the Baths of Titus.
- One of the earliest records of a flower pot is found in an ancient Egyptian wall painting from 1500 BC, showing the return of the first recorded plant-hunting expedition that brought back myrrh-bearing incense trees.
- ‘Optophone’ is a wall painting of warped concentric circles and diamonds, which is reflected in ‘Liberty Domes’ directly opposite it.
- Anyway I burst in on the restaurant in a hurry to check out the wall painting.
- Underneath it, on the bottom half of the wall was the first wall painting I had done.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.