In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a Walter Mitty character — una soñadora femenino
- Was he a good man or was he a Walter Mitty fantasist?
- She also vented her anger over Downing Street spokesman Tom Brown's description of his resembling a Walter Mitty character.
- Any idea that he was a Walter Mitty character has crumbled.
- Jailing him Judge Charles Wade said: ‘The expression ‘a Walter Mitty lifestyle’ has not been mentioned in this but it seems a reasonable thing for me to say.’
- During his court appearance White's mother described her son as a Walter Mitty character, who created plans in his own mind which had no chance of coming to fruition and which bore no resemblance to reality.
- Mr Kosword QC for Peter Jones compared these to the day dreams of a Walter Mitty.
- Though Grant's writing could be incisive and even belligerent, in manner he was more of a Walter Mitty.
- Did this man whose entire life has been spent as an office worker in dull and colorless businesses in rural Pennsylvania just suddenly have a Walter Mitty fantasy that happened to come true?
- This is not the raising of scenarios by a Walter Mitty amateur detective helping the police.
- The piece of the plan that is reminiscent of a Walter Mitty escapade relates to the proposal to recruit 200 business bankers in Britain within three years.
- ‘He was a bit of a Walter Mitty character,’ said Det Insp Clay.
- ‘Paul was a bit of a Walter Mitty character,’ said Mr Barnes in his statement.
- The lovely Jef writes that my blog ‘has a Walter Mitty quality.’
- Many may of course just dismiss Mike as yet another farang who has come here to retire, and reinvent himself, like a Walter Mitty, as the character of his fanciful dreams.
- McLean, United's former manager and chairman, had previously declared he would never sell his 42% stake to a man he dubbed a Walter Mitty character.
- None of this Walter Mitty posturing especially surprised Schwarzkopf, who points out that he'd already known Cheney as ‘one of the fiercest cold warriors in Congress.’
- Another witness, Neil Smithson, described Barry Trumen as a Walter Mitty character.
- Yet in the report they called him a Walter Mitty character and ignored his intelligence.
- Off the record, that guy probably was a bit of a Walter Mitty / Billy Liar type character.
- John Brown is an out-and-out liar for all the reasons that I see printed in comments before mine, which came to mind as I read this Walter Mitty fantasy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.