In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tabla de lavar femeninobefore noun washboard road — carretera llena de baches femenino
- The desert that appears flat is in fact riddled with hidden wadis/depressions and unseen washboards that slow vehicular travel to a crawl.
- Washing happened in an enormous sink on the rooftop or in the compound, scrubbed in cold water and using a special detergent and a stiff brush on a corrugated washboard.
- Long ago, laundry tasks simply required a tub, washboard, clothesline and backbreaking labor.
- Featuring an old black iron, pans, kettles and jars, a washboard and posser, used for pummelling clothes, the look is completed with a shop sign thought to be more than 100 years old.
- As much as I admire her adaptability, it's hard to imagine her back in Arkansas cleaning the brood's clothing on a washboard out front lawn wise next to the stripped 47 Ford up on blocks.
- The washing dolly, the washing tub or bucks, the mangle, types of water, fuller's earth, soap, bleaching agents, blue, starch, bats, and washboards were keywords in the washing process.
- A quarter-century of feminism and here's advice on how to use a washboard and scrub the kitchen floor on your hands and knees.
- Instead, they re-enact the event onstage with an inferior ‘tribute’ while a bare-chested Black displays a stomach that is less washboard and more washing machine, a bulky turbulent affair.
- As we descended, my behind bounced off each log we passed, as though I were a piece of laundry being scrubbed on a washboard.
- Over the centuries other innovations were introduced and by the early decades of the nineteenth century, most households in America used a washboard with grooves in it to wash their clothes.
- Don't forget the pavement, you still have washboards, semi truck ruts, pot-holes and the cargo that falls out of the back of someone else's truck you're following.
- It's more important for a race bike to actively absorb washboard and roots so riders can stay seated, powering the pedals to the finish line.
- The process is simple - all you need is warm soapy water, a washboard, and a willingness to endure prunelike fingers.
- The ride was especially harsh over a short stretch of washboards.
- Perhaps students, instead of wasting money on machines, could just get a washboard and do their clothes in the kitchen sink.
- The women of the house rubbed each garment against the washboard over and over until the dirt came out, using soft homemade soap.
- A linear compression rate through the first half of the suspension travel and then a slightly rising rate for the last half results in a long, smooth ride that sucks up everything from washboard to 50-foot road gaps.
- As expected, the treacherous first third of the course beats her up: the three supersteep descents, the large patches of axle-deep sand, and the mile-long section of washboard.
- While she scrubbed the garments in a soapy tub with her washboard, Jack used clothespins to hang them upon long lines of string attached to trees.
- The road rose steeply past forests of cardónes and dry washes over stretches of washboard and sections paved with flat rocks.
- Mum used a mangle and a washboard so when the washing machine arrived it was a big moment.
- Their chores will be done with the implements of the day, which means they will be cooking their meals over an open fire and washing their clothes with a washboard.
- Though not ‘outboard’ like the new F - 150, this change reduces wheel hop on washboard.
- Her washboard is not some cast off piece of junk, more a statement of gleaming health and efficiency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.