In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(laundry)femenino ropa para lavarfemenino ropa lavadato do the washing — hacer la colada España
- she takes in washing — trabaja de lavandera
- I went and hung out a load of washing in the time it took to log on and get into my site.
- People would be picking bits off their washing on the line wondering what it was.
- I made notes and muttered the new words as I watered the garden and hung washing on the line.
- An assortment of leather sheaths hang like washing on a line in a mocked-up Saxon trader's stall.
- We doubt though that people will still be hanging out their washing across the back streets.
- Everyone takes a share in clearing away the meal, doing the dishes and folding the washing.
- Myra had learned to only hang out the washing if the wind was blowing from the direction of the common.
- Now I go to get my washing in and spiders have built webs between the straps of my bras.
- There's another load of washing about to finish, and the dishes to be washed.
- I was the one who helped her clean her house, deal with bills and sort through her washing.
- Do not store up all your washing and take it home to your mum at the end of term.
- I only need someone to hang my washing on the line.
- We would also help to hang out the washing on the clothes line and then lift it with a wooden prop.
- Chores could include emptying bins, hanging up washing or setting the table.
- That's right its a laundrette which emails you when your washing is done so you can go and get it.
- Still, they already think we're a little odd because the man of the house hangs washing on the line.
- In the house she puts the washing in the machine and takes it out again.
- When he started to neatly fold his washing, the large and angry crowd was bristling.
- I was no exception, and I gathered up the washing and made my way down to the laundry.
- As Sarah sat folding her washing, she remembered the terror and sadness she had felt that day.
2(act)lavado masculinoafter repeated washings, the fabric faded — tras varios lavados, la tela perdió color
- Fabrics made with the coating withstand repeated washing with water and are therefore reusable.
- Thorough hand washing is the single most effective measure to prevent spread of infection.
- Regular washing however weakens the skin thus making it easier for the bacteria to invade and cause damage.
- Frequent hand washing is important in avoiding the spread of flu and cold viruses.
- Daily gentle washing with soap, detergent, or alcohol is effective.
- Face and hand washing was more common but knowledge of hygiene was non-existent.
- And it is durable, looking the same after repeated washings.
- Yet this is an invaluable tool in a household where the washing and drying of clothes is a daily task.
- Frequent routine cleansing of the skin and daily washing of work clothes are necessary.
- Most surgical operation sites simply need to be kept clean by daily washing with cool water.
- Therefore, hot-water washing of bed linens, towels, and recently worn clothing is all you have to do.
- The best thing about them is that they'll maintain their form, even after repeat washings.
- Apart from immunisation, hand washing is seen as the best way to halt the spread of infections.
- Up until the late eighteenth century, washing was usually restricted to the hands and the face.
- On that basis, we might as well all give up washing and go around smelling like badgers, and nearly as hairy, too.
- Toilet paper is a rarity and soap and water for washing is generally notable by its absence.
- Any towels used to dry the affected eye after washing should not come into contact with the other eye or be used by other people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.