In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lavabo masculinolavatorio masculino América Latina
- The room she was in was small to say the least, with a bed, a washstand, a chair and table, and a solitary trunk against the wall.
- The saddlebags had been brought from the stables and rested on a wooden bench near the washstand, already patterned with chips of whitewash flaking from the walls.
- It comes complete with a tiny wicker basket full of fruit, a dressing table and a washstand and towel rail.
- At the same time, the washstand, with its bowl and pitcher, jumped forward and turned over.
- The room was pretty much laid out as her own one was - four beds, four chests, four desks and chairs, and a washstand at the far end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.