In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cintura de avispa femenino
- Fashion in clothes often influences body shape - witness the corset and the wasp waist.
- The dress was a pale lime green, it had a wasp waist and the skirt was gathered the tiniest bit to give it some twirl.
- The look defines a determined woman; a woman who carries off a classically man-tailored suit complete with tie and asserts her femininity with a sheer silk blouse and wasp waist.
- The wasp waist becomes the focus as the tie dye velvet jacket is teamed with a full pleated skirt creating a feminine feel.
- I had planned on wearing a gown she had made for me, but she came in my door, holding a gown of dark blue, with sliver embroidery on the neck, sleeves, hem, and wasp waist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.