In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1búfalo de agua masculino
- A water buffalo and a cow proved unwilling to be sacrificial animals and fled from the butcher's block, sparking confusion among locals.
- In Africa, the water buffalo is represented by the African or cape buffalo.
- The bones, the scientists found, belonged to a species of water buffalo that probably lived between 10,000 and 100,000 years ago.
- That is how V. komodoensis routinely kill deer and pigs; one Komodo monitor even eviscerated a water buffalo!
- But we very rarely argue the morality of the water buffalo that defends herself from the lioness with horn and hoof - we only seem to argue the point when we humans are involved.
- Research veterinarians are experimenting with vaccines in animals to try to save 2 million cattle and water buffalo that die each year of rinderpest.
- They are famous around the county for their collection of unusual breeds, beginning with water buffalo, then venison, and now wild boar.
- Brahma cows and water buffalo roamed the beaches where there are now posh condos and five star hotels.
- Common farm animals are cattle, water buffalo, horses, chickens, and, in non-Muslim areas, pigs.
- Although most families have a water buffalo or cow, these animals are rarely eaten except on ceremonial occasions, when an animal is sacrificed to please the spirits.
- When compared with other domestic livestock, the water buffalo is generally a healthy animal.
- However, few families own more than a small number of cows, water buffalo, or yaks because the mountainous topography does not provide grazing land for large animals.
- Ranchers graze cattle and water buffalo on floodplain grasslands to produce meat and secondarily dairy products.
- It brings to mind one of those nature documentaries, where the wounded water buffalo desperately tries to fend off the hyenas circling in for the kill.
- They had figured out how to get milk out of water buffalo by breeding a new kind of water buffalo.
- But the rainy season is good news for some animals such as water buffalo and David's deer.
- The hot spot is home to important populations of numerous large birds and mammals, including vultures, tigers, elephants, rhinos, and wild water buffalo.
- Livestock (cattle, water buffalo, sheep, and goats) is also important and some land is used to grow fodder crops for these animals.
- They eat the meat of goats, sheep, water buffalo, and cows.
- My friends and I took little-used routes to the outer edges of the valley to graze and mind our cows and water buffalo - the job of most rural kids.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.