In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(river) vía fluvial femenino(canal) vía navegable femenino(canal) canal navegable masculino
- Some US forces were north of the Euphrates River, but most were stuck south of the waterway as engineers tried to build a pontoon bridge there.
- It aims to expand uses of ancient waterways, to increase trade, travel and communication lines.
- The town is near the Delaware and Hudson Canal, a commercial waterway that connected the two rivers.
- He became my much valued travel companion, and together we explored the waterways to evangelise.
- Hundreds of tonnes of soil were also removed to make a 300-metre road along the river bank, reducing the width of the waterway to just two metres at places.
- Several of the country's largest waterways, including the Yellow River, run dry before reaching the sea.
- The code will supply unrestricted access to the country's inland waterways, including all rivers, canals and lochs.
- Somehow I would have thought that cycling would be an activity that would fit in easily with the ambience of the canals and waterways.
- The canal boom revived the idea of a waterway between Manchester and Sowerby Bridge.
- Restorers of the Manchester Bolton & Bury Canal want to expand their knowledge of the waterway's social history.
- Locally the sluices and waterways from the flood plain to the river are in several cases clogged up.
- Three thousand fish have been released into the River Tame in Stockport to restore life to a waterway devastated by a major pollution incident earlier this year.
- Finland's 60,000 lakes are linked by short rivers, sounds, or canals to form busy waterways.
- The northern waterways were closed, the rivers and lakes being slowly choked by the encroaching winter ice.
- Manchester is already getting a new waterway linking the Ashton and Rochdale canals when the Cardroom estate is transformed into New Islington.
- Others traveled further north along the Mississippi waterway.
- The waterway was extended when the Monklands Canal was joined to the Port Dundas basin in 1793, and the Union Canal at Camelon in 1822.
- The new waterway would connect the Grand Union Canal at Milton Keynes with the Great Ouse River in Bedford.
- Houses in the settlement are accessed by boats which travel on the waterways and canals within the community.
- Together they came up with the canal idea as the Leeds-Liverpool waterway runs through the village.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.