In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1nosotrosnosotraswe English — nosotros los ingleses
- we three — nosotros tres
- the Royal we — el Nos real
- it's we who should be grateful — somos nosotros quienes deberíamos estar agradecidos
- they're more advanced than we are — están más adelantados que nosotros
- Two weeks later Clare was moved to a children's home and we didn't see her any more.
- We're hoping to do that this year.
Although nosotros and nosotras are given as translations of we, in practice they are used only for emphasis: we went to the theater fuimos al teatro; we did it nosotros or nosotras lo hicimos.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.