In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1femenino armaweapons of mass destruction — armas de destrucción masiva
- before noun weapons inspector — inspectora de armas
- weapons testing — pruebas de armas
- weapons training — adiestramiento en el uso de armas
- The end of the cold war has not resulted in the abolition of nuclear weapons.
- Police later found a gas-operated rifle and sheath knife among weapons at his home.
- Both sides were assumed to be using nuclear weapons and to be about equal in strength.
- On the contrary, their intention was to try to rid the country of nuclear weapons.
- I think it is important to separate the debates about nuclear power and nuclear weapons.
- Use of so-called conventional bombs could so easily lead to the use of nuclear weapons.
- He said he was also concerned about the number of imitation weapons and air rifles in the county.
- We should remember that the US is the only country ever to have used nuclear weapons in war.
- He said he had bought the weapon to defend himself because of the alleged robbery.
- The pirate leader was screaming in anger, trying to gain access to his remaining weapons.
- Joe should be able to analyse this and determine what weapons caused the damage.
- More and more nations are getting the ability to develop biological and nuclear weapons.
- The testing of nuclear weapons can have a devastating effect on the area where it takes place.
- The Gulf War was the first time that depleted uranium weapons were used in conflict.
- The potential danger of frying pans as weapons in domestic conflict is well established.
- Nobody should be intimidated from making a stand against nuclear weapons and war.
- It was a careful, planned attack; the missiles and weapons used were top of the range.
- They threatened them with the weapons and demanded that they hand over the money.
- No invasion against beaches defended with modern weapons had ever been tried before.
- Gorbachev understood the horror of nuclear weapons, and was resolved not to use them.
- It was certainly damage that Drake had never seen inflicted by any traditional weapons.
- The defendant refused to talk to him about the weapon or tell him where he had got it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.