In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tarta de boda femeninopastel de boda masculinotorta de matrimonio femenino América del Sur Cono Surtorta de novios femenino Cono Sur América del Surtorta de casamiento femenino Río de la Platatorta de novia femenino Chile
- I definitely won't look like that flawless female figurine perched on the wedding cake.
- In Britain, the most prominent single food item associated with a wedding is the wedding cake.
- At the wedding reception at Redlynch, near Salisbury, the couple cut the wedding cake which was decorated with a Great Bustard.
- The top tier of our wedding cake remains in the freezer back home.
- Gay marriage was such a novel idea that the cover image of a wedding cake with two little grooms on top wasn't even a deadening cliché.
- The food was excellent, but we were kissing each other so much that we barely had any food; however we did manage to eat some of our wedding cake.
- Both staff and residents alike enjoyed a sample of the tier of the wedding cake which was a rich fruit cake.
- I also ordered a small replica of our wedding cake, which we had last night.
- The whole celebration was topped off with a five-tier wedding cake.
- Another casualty of the day was the wedding cake.
- She nodded as she held a box that had a piece of their wedding cake.
- The couple can enjoy a complimentary wedding cake and dinner for them both and the morning after; champagne will be sent up to their room.
- The wedding cake is symbolic of the sweetness of new love.
- The ceremony is followed by an elaborate dinner with multiple speeches and the formal cutting of a Western-style wedding cake.
- The wedding cake had five tiers, with green garlands and purple flowers spiraling towards a gazebo at the top enclosing a dancing couple.
- After the meal, the wedding cake is cut and served to the guests.
- If the venue can't offer you a discount for excluding it and serving wedding cake instead, consider ordering a smaller wedding cake.
- The last wedding cake they designed had rugby logos.
- Next on the list is a wedding cake, we've got something special in mind, we just need to find someone who can make it.
- She will marry Neil, 23, at St Andrew's Church in Wanborough, and has already chosen the wedding cake and flowers.
- The wedding cake has three-tiers and two miniature models of Nicola and Charlie, who is holding a rugby ball and wearing a kilt, as he originally comes from Aberdeen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.