In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At Yalding they use a flame gun or hoe to control weeds, not chemical weedkillers; ground covering plants also keep down weeds.
- How can I deal with speedwell in my lawn, preferably without using weedkillers?
- Weeds can be dealt with by a number of selected weedkillers that, if used correctly, are extremely effective.
- Crops are produced without artificial pesticides or weedkillers and animals are kept free-range without the routine use of antibiotics and vaccines.
- But don't be overzealous - it is too early for effective use of lawn weedkillers unless there is a good warm spell.
- So throw out the weedkiller and invite some indigenous plants into your garden plot.
- For the garden at Redhall is run along organic lines, with an emphasis on achieving good plant health without fighting problems with pesticides, weedkillers or fertilisers.
- GM crops allow the use of much more poisonous weedkillers, which pose serious health risks to people.
- Always keep pets and children off lawns that have been sprayed with weedkillers until the spray has dried and preferably for twenty-four hours afterwards.
- However the latest one includes 80 gardening products, mainly selective weedkillers for lawns.
- Farmers would then have to use more and more damaging weedkillers to get rid of them, with knock-on impacts on the environment.
- The council will use an organic weedkiller to get rid of the ragwort, which won't harm other wildlife.
- Kerosene is also used as a fuel for tractors and power generators and as a solvent for garden chemicals such as weedkillers and insecticides.
- Ordinary life is, however, full of dangerous articles - kitchen knives and garden weedkillers, to mention but two.
- Pesticides, weedkillers, fire extinguishers and food additives, also undergo thorough testing.
- They are now becoming established in our lawn and I am tempted to cover the whole of my garden with weedkiller, but perhaps that's a little extreme.
- More than 200 weedkillers, mainly lawn treatments, are being withdrawn from the market after manufacturers chose not to submit them for EU safety tests.
- If people could also clear the gutters outside their homes and premises of debris and weeds there would be less need for the use of strong weedkillers.
- Farm pesticides and weedkillers have had a devastating effect on Europe's bird populations, according to a study released today.
- The trials compared the effects on the environment of weedkillers used in GM farming with those of herbicides used to spray the conventional versions of the same crops.
- But his green-fingered attempts to brighten up the area have been wrecked by council workers who sprayed them with weedkiller.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.