In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cocina(meat) bien cocido(meat) muy hecho España
- Now she sat in a small, rather dirty tavern, pretending the meat in front of her was a well-done steak.
- We used to be able to eat our meat without it being well-done and cooked to a certain internal temperature.
- All the meats should be well-done after one hour.
- I asked for a well-done steak and it turned up just as I ordered, well presented, along with one of those little salad bowls that arrives drowned in thousand island dressing, regrettably too sweet and too much.
- Go and prepare dinner, Anton, and please make the meat well-done.
- I took dinner with Ian while a hungry Ahmad enjoyed his well-done steak earlier.
- I suggest you combine this therapy with a strict diet of milk, well-done steak and more milk for the ultimate in healthy complexions.
- A dish of veal medallions turned out to be more like well-done, dryish filets of baby beef.
2(essay/play) bien hecho
- She has never married, knowing even then her intense and frequent high school flirtations were an imitation, a well-done performance, expressing social not biological pressures.
- The story was a little disjointed at first, but as the film went on it started to weave seamlessly together, and although I had figured out how it was going to end, it was so well-done that I didn't care.
- In some ways, it's a well-done film with some strong performances and a comprehensible step-by-step depiction of the Cuban missile crisis.
- It was very well done, although the fireworks didn't come across all that well on TV.
- We also know that it is better to acknowledge when work is below one's high standards, rather than letting it sit next to the kind that is well-done and written with integrity.
- The party was well-done: it was held at the Taj hotel.
- He was a conscientious and hard-working man who always liked to see a job well done.
- Do readers really care how we got the story, or will they be satisfied with a well-done piece itself?
- Last Sunday I watched an exceptionally well-done TV documentary featuring the plight of school-age children of migrant workers.
- It offers just as much humour as suspense, and both elements are extremely well done.
- This film is, hands-down, one of the most successful examples of well-done visual effects in cinema ever.
- While I didn't think the movie itself was that frightening, I thought that the video within the movie was extremely creepy and well-done.
- And yet, for all its faults, it was very exciting and a lot of it was very well done.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.