In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He had at his command, ready for instant service, a well-equipped army of 20,000 men.
- The campsite, Pointe St Gilles, is large and well-equipped.
- The imperial soldiers were well-equipped with modern guns while their enemies fought with swords.
- We cook up dinner later in the caravan's incredibly well-equipped kitchen, and eat it out at the picnic table in front of a watercolour sunset.
- The centre has a community cafe and a well-equipped training kitchen with facilities for the disabled.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.