In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) conocido(person) famosoit's a well-known fact — todo el mundo lo sabe
- it is well known that … — es bien sabido que …
- The problems caused by cars on the congested roads of Britain are well known.
- Another member of the family was well known locally for her artistic skills.
- Wine lovers tend to judge the quality of a wine region by the reputation of its well-known wines.
- He was Brightlingsea born and bred and was well known and well liked in the town.
- He edits a well-known Bombay paper that we all pretend to despise, but that we all read.
- The fact that a well-known person lived in your home will not necessarily sell it.
- The benefits of being a student at a well-known music college can be huge.
- There was a lot of guessing as to who Santa was but we can say he is a well-known local entertainer.
- Seven well-known films of various genres from different eras will once again be shown on the big screen.
- It's a live performance of many of her most well-known tracks, recorded in a cathedral in Paris.
- This year it is our 20th anniversary and we happen to have chosen a well-known guest artist.
- Melanie is the director of a well-known SoHo art gallery.
- She was in a car with a male friend and his new girlfriend, a moderately well-known feminist theorist.
- He has also worked at well-known venues including the Royal Albert Hall and Wigmore Hall.
- He is a well-known footballer in his native Cloonacool and a very popular young man.
- Hiring from a well-known and reputable company will help minimise the risks.
- The group has been expanding, becoming well known both here and in the States.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.