In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(machine) bien engrasado
- Anthony is as lean and fit as his stockmen and they work together like a well-oiled machine, mustering the cattle through today's weaning, weighing and dipping with practiced ease.
- Our fulfillment and phone order operations are already a well-oiled machine.
- Current management thinking largely assumes that a well functioning organisation is akin to a well oiled machine.
- Few argue that it always works like a smooth, well-oiled machine.
- But in general, this operating environment is a well-oiled machine.
- I want to run this organisation like a well-oiled machine, so these things need to be in place, ‘he said.’
- Like a well-oiled machine, the organisers had collated details and created a database on the would-be grooms and brides.
- The briefing went smoothly as a well-oiled machine; everyone knew their jobs and capabilities.
- Around here, gossip is a well-oiled machine, traveling at mind-boggling speeds, and this is just one more thing that I will not miss about the place.
- I have played in games where it was a sheer pleasure because my team operated like a well-oiled machine.
- Her Parent Advisory Committee is dominated by French-immersion parents and, she said, the group operates like a well-oiled machine.
- It has created an efficient media outfit, its party organisation runs like a well-oiled machine.
- You have everything running as smooth as a well oiled machine, as always.
2argot(drunk)como una cuba coloquial
- Stan waited until the stomachs were full and the audience well oiled before selling the raffle tickets that brought in a bundle for the local Boys Orphanage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.