In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They require a mosaic of heath, blanket bog and wetland, with rough grazing, shrubs and trees for cover.
- Typha spp. are highly productive aquatic plants that grow in a variety of habitats throughout wetlands worldwide.
- Both species need large areas of fens and wetlands and are highly intolerant of human disturbance at nest sites.
- It is almost never found on mudflats or in wetlands where other shorebirds are found.
- Its large lagoons, mangrove wetlands, and swamps full of wild orchids and rare birds are all protected by the National Trust.
- Coral reefs provide protection to coastal areas and protect delicate coastal wetlands and mangrove swamps from storms.
- Wildlife habitats, wetlands and watersheds have been wiped out all over the place.
- The terrain here is flat, and the poor drainage encourages the creation of wetlands and bogs.
- It is common for the tailing ponds to be turned into wetlands or even grazing lands for buffalo such as the one made by Syncrude.
- The rain becomes torrential as I drive through the vast wetlands of the Bayou.
- She said the wetlands, estuaries and forest streams that pateke call home were under threat.
- It is also released naturally from swamps, wetlands and the ocean.
- She was doing the first formal survey of our wooded wetlands in the east field.
- It was then tested and found to apply in other habitat types such as wetlands and Mediterranean grasslands.
- Breeds on wetlands, moorland, water-side meadows, both coastal and inland.
- Found in a wide variety of haunts including open or lightly wooded farmland, moors, wetlands and urban areas.
- Shrubs and bushes will be used to create the hilltop wetlands by blocking drainage ditches dug by sheep farmers.
- The reserve in a partly flooded gravel pit now has three wetland habitats - open water, marsh and willow scrub.
- A further third will be turned into wet pasture land and a third to wetland and reed beds in line with a plan approved by the Environmental Agency.
- They live on moors and wetlands, while the tower is surrounded by bustling streets made of concrete.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.