In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1caza de ballenas femeninopesca de ballenas femenino(industry/vessel) (before noun) ballenero
- He's continuing to call for caution in allowing commercial whaling in the foreseeable future.
- Japan aims to return the commission to a whaling industry - controlled body, so that commercial whaling can resume.
- Despite the ban on commercial whaling, many whales are caught in Korean waters.
- This situation eased in 1986 when the international Whaling Commission declared a moratorium on whaling.
- After a long campaign by several environment groups, the International Whaling Commission imposes a moratorium on commercial whaling.
- What is the effect of the increasing whale watching industry, which like whaling before it, ranges from feeding to birthing grounds?
- Iceland, Japan and Norway want to abandon the ban and threatened to begin commercial whaling with or without international agreement.
- Our attack at the moment is to expose the fraud of commercial whaling under the guise of scientific whaling.
- From that time on for over ten years I stuck to Athneal like a pilot fish and he taught me, not only whaling and its history in the islands but about Bequia life as well.
- The widescale whaling of the past exists no longer, and most whales are now protected under international law.
- Japan will lead the charge to overturn a ban on commercial whaling when the International Whaling Commission meets in just over a week.
- The story of whaling in Eden is much more than just a story about a bygone industry or even a story about an amazing partnership between man and beast.
- Japan's ambassador to Australia, Hideaki Ueda, said last week that he hoped that the IWC would soon allow a return to commercial whaling.
- There has been an international ban on all commercial whaling since 1986, and on grey whales since 1949.
- But the biggest issues for me, mate, was sealing, whaling and the killing of penguins.
- A quarter of a century after whaling was banned in Australian waters, whale watching has become a tourism success story.
- Iceland could also begin straightforward commercial whaling at any time, although it says that it will not do so until at least 2006.
- Alice Roberts looks back at Dundee's history of whaling and meets former whalers who risked their lives in this now reviled industry.
- Iceland's delegation responded by walking out of the meeting and threatening to resume commercial whaling with or without approval.
- With whaling still outlawed, the Japanese are out of practice when it comes to taking out large blubbery mammals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.