In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Me and a friend of mine was talking about Metro Center, whew, ideal spot you know, because that's like the hub, they come right in you know, from all different trains, so, I don't know.
- Well we tracked her down and, whew, she's been busy.
- The last 3 days have been really hectic, let me tell you, whew.
- I should say that I have two or three more chapters left, whew!
- One straight week and we think: whew, it's summer, alright.
- The whew of relief from Qantas management were audible.
- Give it a shot, and end up good friends if it doesn't work out, but… whew.
- Eight turbines deep in the dam generate 1.35 million kilowatts of electricity, the lake supplies water to seven states and… whew!
- All those long, languorous movements, eyes locked, bodies welded at the breast, legs entwining whew!
- When that storm came through at first, people said, whew.
- Speaking of different philosophies on relationships…whew!
- You're almost relieved when you discover that it's mostly beans and rice: whew!
- We here in Seattle had record temperatures,, somewhere near 100 degrees, whew!
- It was a summer production, with shared dressing rooms - whew!
- I was completely telling myself to breath at the end too, whew!
- whew! It's a big ballot when you're carefully choosing your party central committee members.
- Finally, someone's making a period piece about the American military - whew!
- This week has been, whew, crazy-busy, and it's not over yet.
- They're innocent victims who've unwittingly exposed themselves, whew, sorted.
- Looks like no damage done to my car, though, whew!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.