In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1navidades blancas femeninonavidades con nieve femenino
- The Boston snow indicator is a market theory that posits that a white Christmas in Boston will cause stock prices to climb.
- I got what I wanted for Christmas that year; a white Christmas, and also time spent with my Great-Grandma Storace.
- For it to be deemed a white Christmas, at least one flake of snow has to fall on the roof of the London weather centre.
- No white Christmas this year - the snow we got a few days ago has all since melted.
- It hasn't snowed yet, but I'm always hoping for a white Christmas.
- And every year many of us can't help wishing for a white Christmas, even if it's 70 degrees outside.
- And while there's certainly no point in dreaming of a white Christmas - from the looks of it Chennai isn't even going to get a wet Christmas - it still is the season to be jolly.
- Banks of fake snow were created to give the impression of a white Christmas for its advert ‘Christmas Card’ which will be premiered in Cork today.
- While many people may have wished for a white Christmas, with pretty snow blanketing the countryside, it was not to be this year.
- One bookmaker suspended betting on a white Christmas, as forecasters maintained it was just a question of where, rather than if, there would be snow on December 25.
- Weather forecasters suggest there is a good chance of a white Christmas across the district, with a fresh cold snap predicted to begin on Friday and continue over the holiday weekend.
- The ad is a series of picture-perfect scenes - or as its title suggests, Christmas cards - of the first flickers of a white Christmas morning in Ireland.
- ‘The kids absolutely loved it, it was like a white Christmas in September for them,’ Five-Dock mother of three Julia Illis said.
- Dreaming of a white Christmas has become a national obsession and weather experts are predicting a cold snap that could see the Lake District swathed in snow over the festive period.
- ‘It's going to be wet pretty much throughout the country,’ said a weather spokeswoman, ruling out a white Christmas in Britain.
- The people of Abbeyleix awoke on Christmas morning to an unexpected white Christmas.
- Aberdeen was the first city to see a white Christmas, with a couple of inches of snow covering the ground early in the morning.
- With Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales also expecting snow, Ladbrokes are estimating a white Christmas could cost the industry £1 million.
- My American traditions include Thanksgiving dinner, white Christmases, fireworks on the fourth of July, and so on.
- Mexicans love the magic, Japanese kids empathise with Harry's school woes and Australians like Hogwarts' white Christmases.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.