In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bandera blanca femenino
- To increase taxes now would be to raise the white flag and surrender to the poverty lobby.
- Should they raise the white flag of surrender or should they rise up and defend themselves?
- Then the commander of the sasquatches took out the white flag and surrendered.
- A smile, a white flag of truce on a stick, and an unarmed handshake for the first official he met.
- They had taken two to the chin but there was never any sign of a frantic search for the white flag of surrender.
- One man gave the Marines a thumbs up, another waved a white flag.
- Will the NGO-led masses be waving white flags of surrender on 2 July in Edinburgh with these wristbands?
- The British advanced swiftly to Kut through Ammara and Nassiriya, villages and tribes on the way raised white flags and banners.
- After their pill box on the cliffs above Omaha suffers several direct hits, the German defenders emerge waving white flags.
- Once it denies its sovereignty, it will in effect have raised a white flag and surrendered.
- To fly the white flag and to surrender was not an option for us.
- They did not show the white flag of surrender and they did not come out fighting fairly.
- Paul Wood, reporting for BBC Breakfast, retails this line as well as explaining that ‘hundreds’ of civilians have emerged waving white flags and were subsequently taken to safety by the troops.
- Morale is low in the army and many soldiers are preparing white flags of surrender.
- But some of those we saw today in the center of the city venturing out into the streets, waving white flags so soldiers and Marines wouldn't shoot them.
- After several passes the spotter called and told us to look down there - the Germans were coming out of the woods with white flags and surrendering.
- Phipps sent an envoy bearing a white flag to demand his enemy's submission.
- The second half was a complete non-event with Listowel raising the white flag of surrender.
- It was National that surrendered, waved the white flag, and sold out every rural area and region in this country.
- It was blowing gently between the satellite dish and the biggest shrub in the garden like a white flag of surrender.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.