In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(stick/wood) tallarI whittled the ends down to a point — (con una navaja, un cuchillo etc) les saqué punta a los extremos
- Then, he painstakingly whittles each one a 10-inch handle with a kitchen knife, and waits till dark.
- Excitedly, Vivienne raised her camera to capture the woman on film, then snapped some shots of an old man whittling a piece of wood.
- Seve cut his sticks to length, whittled a point in the slender end and drove it into the hosel - the round socket at the top of the iron head.
- He was whittling a piece of wood the size of his palm.
- Her father just sat in a corner whittling a piece of wood.
- I really like the spey blade, as it offers a long straight edge for doing really important tasks: things like whittling a sharp point on an old stick.
- Later when he swore off smoking, he took up whittling wood.
- A willowy soldier leaned against a tree near where he stood, whittling a piece of wood.
- He volleyed as if he was using his racket to whittle wood, slicing this way and that and caressing the ball into submission.
- With a jackknife, he whittled a point on a thin green stick pulled from a maple branch.
- The Americans of the volunteers joked about how whittling wood was an American habit.
- We were forced to hotfoot it to Borneo, where we lived on the edge of the jungle for the next twenty years, whittling wood into supposedly erotic shapes that we then sold as tribal trinkets.
- How many millions were spent whittling that piece of wet balsam, I've no idea; it means nothing and invites ridicule.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.