In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1enormethey live in a whopping (great) house — viven en tremenda casona coloquial
- at a whopping 22% a month — a la friolera del 22% mensual
- His new film ‘Paani’, with a whopping budget of 20 million dollars, will be made in both Hindi and English and will be shot in India.
- The premise is a simple one - Germaine Lauzon, mother and housewife, has won a whopping one million stamps in an annual contest.
- The best way to invest in a fund is usually to invest small amounts on a regular basis rather than one great big whopping lump sum.
- Which means America should be having a whopping big debate about how to respond to this not-so-brave new world we find ourselves living on.
- A 2.2 acre site in Carraroe went under the hammer for a whopping €1.56 million at a public auction last Friday.
- With a whopping $30-million budget, Nouvelle-France is one of the most costly Québécois films ever produced.
- I think my two favourite characters were Yoda, and the whopping big lizard that Obi-Wan was riding.
- The sun is expected to survive for a whopping 10 million years, while massive stars live to be a mere 3 million years old because they burn up so fast.
- Imagine a bill of €128 million last year of which a whopping €84 million was spent on accommodation.
- Last year the bank booked a profit of $77 million after a whopping $3.4-billion loss in 1998.
- Council information also suggests that a whopping 1.5 million people had an opportunity to see press information on Celtic Fusion.
- These basically work by having your mortgage debt in your bank account as one whopping big overdraft.
- Chang said his shipyard is now working on another mega yacht - a whopping 77m craft that will be in the world's top 10.
- By then, the total investment will have been a whopping €350 million, not small change even by today's inflated standards.
- What a huge whopping lie, I thought with self-derision.
- A McDonald's Big Mac carries a whopping 590 calories and 34 grams of fat.
- This jade flask was sold for a whopping £2.9 million
- One family with a whopping big tax bill is in West Virginia.
- I can have a whopping great big Mexican meal guilt-free now because eating like this has fired up my metabolism.
- Given that the club's most recent figures put total wages and salaries at a whopping £7.5 million a year, it is clear that the wage bill needs not so much trimming as slashing this summer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.