In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(en críquet) guardapalos masculino
- So teams can pick seven batsmen and five bowlers or, in India's case, seven batsmen and a wicketkeeper.
- Is it true that Australia once selected a wicketkeeper for a Test who had never kept wicket before?
- Has there ever been a Test match where both wicketkeepers have stumped each other?
- The team consists of five all-rounders, six specialist batsmen, two wicketkeepers and five strike bowlers.
- Has there been an occasion in Test history when all 11 players bowled in the innings, including the wicketkeeper?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.