In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(European)gato montés masculino
- Since Dolly's creation in 1996 a variety of other animals have been duplicated, including a caracal cat and an African wildcat.
- A big wildcat can kill roe deer fawns, and sometimes even does.
- Domestic cats are thought to have descended from the African subspecies of the wildcat.
- Dresser's team is fine-tuning the cloning of small cats like the African wildcat, as well as the largest: tigers.
- Over the years, Owen Newman and I had filmed cheetahs, lions, leopards, African wildcats and servals (for the first ever film of them) but never caracals.
1.2US (bobcat)lince masculino
- Though more tolerant of people than many other wildcats, bobcats tend to avoid large cultivated areas.
- A highly adaptable wildcat of North America, the Bobcat has managed to survive in healthy numbers in a variety of habitats, consuming a diverse spectrum of prey, in both wild and inhabited regions.
- I soon found out she was not a kid. She was a regular little wildcat.
- I think she played the boss' daughter and Kevin liked her but she was a real wildcat.
3(oil well)pozo de exploración masculino
- Peak exploration was in 1985 when 184 wildcats were drilled.
1(risky)(speculation/project) arriesgado(project/speculation) riesgoso América Latina
- Those of you who might consider investing in a wildcat venture should also remember that the quality of geologic professional advice varies.
- Naturally no banker likes to see money drawn out of his institution and put into a wildcat investment where neither he nor anybody else thereabout will ever see it again.
- And when shop floor workers became dissatisfied, they staged increasing numbers of ‘unofficial’ or wildcat strikes.
- The effect of the industrial action was compounded by a wildcat strike held by railway train guards the same morning.
- This has seen members strike for two days in both February and April, and take part in a number of unofficial wildcat strikes.
- And at the time of writing we are seeing the first unofficial wildcat strikes in the civil service for 16 years!
- The 12-month dispute saw extensive industrial action, including wildcat strikes by teachers and walkouts by students.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.