In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A window box is even large enough to grow radishes and arugula.
- A special planting day has been proposed where you can bring along your window box or hanging basket and the committee will plant them for you - leaving you with just the small task of keeping them watered.
- A window box filled with compost and direct-planted will become completely waterlogged unless there are drainage holes.
- Another plant that will draw second looks in a window box is Brassica oleracea, the ornamental cabbage, low growing, in soft shades of pink, green and white.
- Charlie asked as Uncle Henry turned to leave, ‘Can she plant some flowers in the window box?’
- In every window was a window box filled with large blossoms, and every door on the street was painted something garish.
- You don't need an elaborate set-up to paint your window box before planting it.
- Lace curtains hung in the windows and just outside, lavender was growing in the window box.
- You can join in the fun with a pretty plant container, a window box, a flower-filled balcony or even a hanging basket.
- They are an inexpensive way to brighten up a bare patch in a flowerbed, or put with other spring flowering plants such as primulas in a window box or patio pot.
- As far as we are concerned, anything that grows is a candidate for a window box.
- Not all properties have a garden, but it is rare to find one that doesn't have scope for some kind of horticultural element, be it a window box or a tub outside the front door.
- Another tiny flower that works well in a window box is diascia, an evergreen perennial from South Africa that thrives in our climate.
- I've grown herbs in a window box and I would like to transplant them into the garden and plant up the window box with some bulbs.
- Take walks in the park, visit your local botanical garden, plant a garden or a window box.
- If primulas are not your thing, plant up your window box with perennials.
- Fill your window box about half full with the potting mix, and add water to moisten the mix if it's dry.
- The classic window box plant is ivy, from plain dark green to variegated pale green and white.
- I replanted the kitchen window box three weeks ago and it came into bloom in the sunshine last weekend.
- When it comes to planting up a window box or tub, select good-quality large bulbs because the blooms are seen at close quarters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.