In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In some cases, such as when the swollen epiglottis blocks the windpipe, a tracheostomy may be performed.
- All victims are suffering varying degrees of burns to their skin, lungs and windpipes, caused by inhaling hot gases.
- The thyroid gland is situated in the throat, on either side of the windpipe.
- This involves making a cut into the windpipe below the swollen part of your airway, providing a new opening through which you can breathe.
- Sometimes, however, young children can have a cough because an object is stuck in their windpipe.
- The windpipe is connected to each lung by a large airway called the bronchus.
- Find your pulse by placing your index and third finger on your neck to the side of your windpipe, over your carotid artery.
- The inside of her throat had swollen rapidly and already her windpipe was almost completely blocked.
- When you breathe in through your windpipe, the air moves through your bronchial tubes into your air sacs.
- In primates the larynx is located high up in the windpipe and prevents solids and liquids from entering the lungs.
- This is not very common in adults but sometimes happens in young children with smaller, narrower windpipes.
- The larynx descends in the throat until the windpipe and foodpipe are lying side by side.
- The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in front of the windpipe in the neck.
- We cannot replace a pair of lungs, or a windpipe as we would material things in our homes.
- Scientists injected some of these mice with GFD, and then injected cat allergen into the windpipes of all the mice, including a control group that was not allergic to cats.
- Children younger than 3 years of age have croup most often because their windpipes are narrow - some children have it practically every time they have a respiratory illness.
- Once the grafts had matured they were used to reconstruct defective windpipes in seven foetal lambs.
- A hole had been cut in her windpipe and the main artery in her neck had been severed almost all the way through.
- In October, Rehnquist underwent surgery to create a breathing hole in his windpipe.
- His big rough hand completely circled her throat, adding pressure to her windpipe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.