1(desire)deseo masculinoto make a wish — pedir un deseo
- her fairy godmother granted her wish — su hada madrina le concedió el deseo
- her wish came true — se le cumplió el deseo
- he expressed a wish to be alone — expresó su voluntad / deseo de estar solo
- his last / dying wish — su última voluntad
- to go along with sb's wishes — hacer la voluntad de algn
- wish to + inf
- I've no wish to upset you, but … — no quisiera disgustarte, pero …
- I've no great wish to see the play — no tengo muchas ganas de ver la obra
- We care enough about Jackie that we simultaneously hope that his wish to go to war will be granted, and that it never will.
- However his greatest wish was to continue his pastoral work in Ghana.
- They knew his fears and best hopes, his wishes and his dying dreams.
- And his only wish now is to continue telling stories till the last breath.
- She told me she was comfortable talking to him, and he supported her wish to continue getting her education.
- I guessed that my life was such a disaster that I didn't have the mind to have a dream, a wish of my own.
- Of course that occurs, but people sell their land because, as the treaty assumed, it may be their wish and desire to do so.
- We expect and hope that Australia and Indonesia have the same wish.
- When you don't have a strong sense of self, you become a reflection of other people's hopes, wishes, expectations and opinions about you.
- We all shared a wish, a hope, and a dream to bring back justice, freedom and most of all fun.
- Maybe because he had long since given up hope that such a wish was anything but a childish dream.
- The men continue to work for themselves, which is a feature of gypsy life, as is their wish to continue to live in caravans.
- The idea of the lake stretching across the whole world was only a desire, a wish shared by everyone in Belryno.
- Happy birthday and I hope your wish for a huge boost to global development comes true.
- We both expressed our wish to continue these talks and to find sensible solutions.
- But it must be more than a hope or a wish, more than knowing that it is good for you.
- You however did, and as I'm twenty I no longer have to follow your every wish and whim.
- There is agreement in the wish to overcome the current situation as anomalous.
- We are a mixed bag of people, with different ideals, hopes, wishes and dreams.
- This can have the effect of leaving letters unread, the opposite of the desired wish of the writer.
2wishes plural(greetings)she sends her best wishes — manda muchos recuerdos / saludos
- with our best wishes for a speedy recovery — deseándole una pronta mejoría
- give your mother my best wishes — cariños a tu madre
- with my sincere good wishes for the future — con mis mejores deseos para el futuro
- best wishes, Jack — saludos / un abrazo de Jack
1(desire fervently)desearto wish sth on sb — desearle algo a algn
- I wouldn't wish that on anybody — no se lo deseo a nadie
- I wouldn't wish it on / upon my worst enemy — no se lo desearía ni a mi peor enemigo
- to wish (that)
- I wish I hadn't come — ¡ojalá no hubiera venido!
- I wish I were rich/a bit taller — ¡ojalá fuera rico/un poco más alto!
- she wished she hadn't told him — lamentó habérselo dicho
- I wish you wouldn't say things like that — me disgusta mucho que digas esas cosas
- I wish he would go away — ¿por qué no se irá?
- I do wish you'd told me before! — ¡me lo podrías haber dicho antes!
- I wish you didn't have to go — ojalá pudieras quedarte
- John wishes you'd go and visit him — John quisiera que fueras a verlo
- Also needed are locals wishing to get involved by decorating their home, shop, office or workplace along a 1940s theme for the festival weekend.
- He had approached the headmaster in advance of the trial and was told that neither the children nor their parents wished to be involved.
- I was involved with parties who wished to purchase my property at any cost.
- She said the company had subsequently done an urgent review of the stores involved and then decided it did not wish to renew the Post Office contracts.
- Alternatively, you may wish to complain to the estate agent involved.
- There is also a YPT scheme for younger teenagers and the BAC offers opportunities to virtually anyone in the borough who wishes to become involved in theatre.
- I wish to be involved in deciding the treatment I receive as much as possible.
- Some of the matters involved in States wishing to retain controls go beyond the simple issues of ministerial empires.
- If those involved wish to risk their lives that is their choice but to risk the lives of the public is another matter entirely.
- I wish to record my gratitude and congratulations to all those involved.
- He also understood that WFD were involved and wished to rebuild that connection.
- Any girl wishing to get involved can contact Carmel Lynch on 41839.
- All parents, coaches and mentors are welcome to attend these sessions, which are most valuable for any parents wishing to become involved with the Club.
- Any boat owner wishing to become involved in Boatwatch can get a registration form from their local marine office or police station.
- Well, it is not just a question of the Met, I think any of the individuals involved would wish to defend their position and their reputation.
- His attitude is that he does not wish to be involved in any argument whether this valuation is right or wrong.
- The event is aimed to support those already involved and encourage any woman wishing to take up the sport.
- Ladies wishing to be involved in the fundraising feat should be aged over 17.
- Let those involved decide if they'd wish to participate in the meting out of justice.
- The centre now offers a group program dealing with grief and loss as well as training for men wishing to be involved in community work.
- In addition, he has made it known that he wishes to become involved in charity work.
2formal(want)desear formalquererthey wish to be alone — desean estar solos formal
- I wish to be informed as soon as possible — deseo que se me informe tan pronto como sea posible
- should you wish to do so … — si así lo deseara …
- to wish sb/sth to + inf — desear que algn/algo + subj
- he wishes us to leave — desea que nos vayamos
3(want for sb)desearwe wish you every happiness — te deseamos lo mejor
- wish me luck! — ¡deséame suerte!
- he called to wish me (a) happy birthday/(a) merry Christmas — me llamó para desearme feliz cumpleaños/feliz Navidad
- I wish you well — espero que te vaya bien
- to wish sb good night — darle las buenas noches a algn
- I don't think he wishes you any harm / ill — no creo que quiera que te pase nada malo
- She wished him every success with his latest publication.
- Both young people are wished every happiness and success in the years ahead.
- She calls after us to wish us a Shabbat Shalom and while we bless her with health, happiness and success, she wishes us the same.
- Alan and Lisa are wished every success and happiness.
- He is pursuing a professional career in dance and of course our family wishes him every success and happiness.
1(make magic wish)pedir un deseo
2(want, desire)as you wish, sir — como usted mande / diga, señor
- if you wish — como quieras
- simply wishing won't make it go away — con 'ojalá' no se arregla nada