In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(inside)dentro defrom within the house — desde dentro de / desde el interior de la casa
- within these four walls — entre estas cuatro paredes
- concealed within the lid of the box — oculto en el interior de / dentro de la tapa de la caja
- changes were taking place within the governing party — se estaban produciendo cambios en el seno del partido gobernante
1.2(inside limits of)within a radius of 20 miles — en un radio de 20 millas
- it is within our reach — está a nuestro alcance
- it's within the bounds of possibility that … — entra dentro de lo posible que …
- it should be within their capabilities to … — deberían estar capacitados para …
- you have to learn to live within your income — tienes que aprender a vivir de acuerdo a tus ingresos
- within the law — dentro de la ley
2(indicating nearness)awe were now within 150m of the summit — estábamos ya a 150m de la cumbre
- we're within days of … — estamos a pocos días de …
- she came within half a second of breaking the record — no batió el récord por medio segundo
- the measurements are correct to within 1mm — las medidas tienen un margen de error de 1mm
3(in less than)within the time allotted — dentro del tiempo establecido
- within a month of his death, she was back in Mexico — no había pasado todavía un mes de su muerte y ella ya estaba de vuelta en México
- the paint dries within minutes of being applied — la pintura se seca a los pocos minutos de ser aplicada
1dentrofrom within — desde dentro
- [ S ]apply within — infórmese aquí
- Happiness comes from contentment within and no amount of money will change that.
- Her skin glowed with an eerie light, as if she was lit with a dying fire from within.
- My blood boiled and burned like acid fire within me but I forced my will to ignore it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.