In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One was moved to defend womenkind with the remarks that ‘a slender, 45-year-old mother doing gymnastics is not that rare a sight.’
- And if you stayed with him to prevent his drawing that conclusion, what, you'd be taking a giant step on behalf of womankind?
- Didn't he make any derogatory remarks whatsoever about womankind?
- Well, Ashley, it may be no big deal to you, but we say you've scored big for womankind.
- So the next day, after his sermon, the Pope concluded by saying, ‘Tuti homini, et tuti femini’ - Blessed be mankind and womankind.
- At the age of 42, he has performed manfully in the wake of what was, judging by the length and depth of his emotional and very public suffering, apparently the most traumatic divorce in the history of man and womankind.
- Since the beginning of time stupidity has been one of mankind's (and womankind's) greatest weaknesses.
- The world tends to look at such women today as anti-feminist anachronisms, naïve traitors to the cause of womankind, setting back the march of the liberated by their very existence.
- The ability to only write a newspaper column and still afford, in addition to other living expenses, every kind of designer shoe known to womankind?
- This is a small step for the Welsh cabinet but it's a giant leap for Welsh womankind.
- We, the men in the audience, sympathised from somewhere deep in our gut as these brave youths were swept away in the sea of Ulster's dancing womankind.
- Just as the first coming had an optimistic message for mankind at a moment of social turmoil, this coming is being presented as something with a similar message for womankind.
- It is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore one's fear that there is an ulterior motive to how the whims of womankind are being reflected back at ourselves.
- And now the 14th and most recent issue is an ode to womenkind.
- That advert is disgusting, degrading to womankind and downright dangerous.
- My faith in womankind has been seriously dented.
- Is that made better by you snarling at the rest of womankind?
- However, it was, at the very least, a small step for womankind because, unlike the ancient Roman, the husband now had a legal obligation to protect his wife.
- In our society, the worst specimen of womankind is the so-called liberated female.
- This appears to come as some relief to womankind.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.