In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1útero masculinomatriz femeninothe desire to return to the womb — el deseo de regresar al seno / vientre materno
- I only ever say womb as a joke, although uterus sounds ridiculously medical.
- One of the things your health care provider monitors is the size of your abdomen and the amount of amniotic fluid in your womb.
- A woman's pelvic floor supports the bladder, womb and the bowel.
- In the past, it was thought that the baby's feet were twisted or cramped because of the way the baby lay in its mother's womb.
- This fertilised egg then needs to be implanted in the woman's womb.
- This is a major operation in which the cervix and womb are removed.
- The cervix is the lower, narrow part of the uterus or womb, which is located in a woman's lower abdomen.
- Babies who are exposed to mercury while in the womb can suffer severe damage to the nervous system and may die.
- Pregnant women can get varicose veins because of the pressure on the veins in the pelvis as the womb expands.
- This was surprising to me - the hormones we're exposed to in the womb affect our finger lengths in statistically significant ways.
- With the growth of anatomical knowledge, the literal hypothesis of the morbidly wandering womb became increasingly untenable.
- Its open letter on cloning was prompted by newspaper headlines of Panos Zavos's claims to have transferred the first cloned human embryo into a woman's womb.
- Malrotation is a type of mechanical obstruction caused by abnormal development of the intestines while a fetus is in the mother's womb.
- A hysteroscopy is an examination of the inside of the womb using a telescope called a hysteroscope.
- This drug dissolves in the womb and results in the formation of scar tissue at the ends of the fallopian tubes, presumably preventing contraception.
- Aquatic experiences begin in the mother's womb where an infant is surrounded by amniotic fluid.
- Some of the man's sperm is put into the woman's womb at the same time as ovulation (the release of an egg), making conception more likely.
- In emergencies a vertical abdominal and womb incision may be used.
- The baby is protected by the amniotic fluid in the womb and by your abdomen.
- Stem cells from amniotic fluid have been used to repair windpipe defects in unborn lambs while still in the womb.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.