In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Imber is a village nestling in a shallow, partly wooded valley in the centre of the western part of the Plain.
- Fifteen minutes later we leave open ground for lovely wooded valley.
- In the distance the wooded Valley of Desolation takes the eye up to Barden Moor.
- As we walked towards Torc Waterfall through a wooded area, the smell was just appalling.
- Symbols and letters in mustard yellow and white were daubed on seats and rocks in the wooded ravine off Wells Road.
- The foothills are wooded, except in the south, and shelter valleys with vineyards and orchards.
- Turn left and follow this gradually uphill keeping a little wooded valley on your left.
- All is spread out in a picturesque wooded glen with a brook flowing serenely nearby.
- A wooded hillside called Coille Mhialairigh rises above the Gleneig to Arnisdale road.
- Situated in a sheltered wooded valley, our dive site is protected from wind and acts as a suntrap on this bright morning.
- Found in a wide variety of haunts including open or lightly wooded farmland, moors, wetlands and urban areas.
- All teams stay in the adventure lodge, which is set in a wooded valley on the north Pembrokeshire coast.
- A quiet lane then leads down to reach Brockabank Farm in the secluded wooded valley of Eshton Beck.
- The lake, surrounded by wooded hills and heather moorland was beautiful enough.
- The survey measured tree cover in wooded areas of greater than one hectare using satellite photography.
- Finally Alex and Circe turned off the road and walked next to another tree and into a wooded area.
- If you seek shelter in a wooded area, don't stand close to tall trees as they're more likely to be hit and the charge can side flash to you.
- She ran into a wooded area, off Hillside Road, and although she tried to hide was found.
- Srebrenica sits in a long narrow valley with wooded slopes rising sharply on either side.
- So we turned our backs on the sea, did a track, a field or two and dipped into our first wooded valley.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.