In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(clothes/event) (everyday) de todos los días(prosaic) prosaico(prosaic) banal
- First, I had yearned to escape the workaday world where I went about my quotidian tasks and routines and travel to an isolated place filled with natural beauty and silence for my writers retreat.
- The routine, workaday books that keep rolling off printing machines and that one lives and works with today share very little of that quality, or that sensibility.
- It's a modest, workaday coffee we routinely serve at home but sludge it ain't.
- Some people think that the idea of a fairy tale romance is unrealistic, that it sets too high a standard and leaves you feeling disappointed in real-life, workaday relationships.
- On a workaday basis, it doesn't matter much, to be honest.
- This agency has become the official applier of yellow, smiley-faced stickers on an ugly economy that is stiffing America's workaday majority.
- In those days a whole host of pots could be found in gardens, including long-toms and workaday pots as well as rhubarb and kale-forcing pots, all made from terracotta.
- The question is whether we can find secreted in the language of a particular text the bustling, workaday life of the common people.
- Though in the ordinary, workaday world, you find yourself with not a friend about you, step into the other world, and a universe of friends, this great, glorious brotherhood, will be there for you.
- The old pilgrim paths sometimes beckon to us, teasing us from the routine of workaday lives with promises of spiritual glory and glimmers of the Divine, however we interpret that deeply human need.
- Meanwhile, in the workaday world, women receive just 76 cents for every dollar paid to men for comparable jobs.
- Somehow Ludwig seemed to have succeeded in functioning in the mundane, workaday world and still keep a spiritual perspective on matters.
- The interpenetration of the worldly and the otherworldly, the mundane and the spiritual, the workaday and the worshipful, enrich our folklore as well as our classics.
- At first glance, shampoo is one of the most functional and workaday elements in your beauty routine.
- But they are vastly outnumbered by packs of a more workaday character.
- White opened up at a ferocious pace, hitting nicks from all angles, powering balls to the deep court on either hand and slamming in three-wall-nick shots at such regular intervals that it came to look like a common workaday shot.
- Our fear, guilt, and, occasionally, even jealousy over the way the elderly are separated from workaday reality has led us to think about the ‘golden years’ as something that takes place in another realm.
- Then there is the stuff of workaday journalism, rather like an ordinary meal one has to plough through, a chore worthwhile only for whatever nutritional value there may be.
- The farmer performs workaday human movement: plain, uneventful, and unaccountably touching.
- Peering into their world was a welcome counterpoint to the workaday routine of her own life.
- Though they share nothing in upbringing, they have already found that they have a workaday attitude to showbiz in common.
- Smither's patient way of painting, however - moulding one slow layer over another - served to elevate humble workaday household items - cups, plates - to epic and monumental status.
- An affectionate arm around the shoulders, a warm and reassuring hug, a gentle touch upon the arm, even just an understanding glance, are enough to drive away the blues and kindle hope in a heart beset with workaday cares.
- But she also appreciates her surroundings and her community, and looks for her place among the sloping streets and workaday routines.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.