In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the working class(es) — la clase obrera / trabajadora
- You thus argue that reducing corporate income taxes benefits big business but not the working classes.
- Of course, many of the latter could be working class in the Marxist definition of the term.
- Higher wages gave the working classes greater consuming power than they had had in Britain.
- The working class has to behave collectively because it is organised collectively.
- Middle-class models of domesticity gradually spread into both the working classes and aristocratic elites.
- The working classes and middle classes are now at the mercies of the regional land market.
- They are drawn largely from a social layer which itself is not part of the working class or peasantry.
- It was a means of incorporating the working classes within the existing social and political order, and thus preventing the threat of revolt from below.
- Indeed, the resistance of the working classes to socialist ideas made them the despair of middle-class intellectuals.
- He was from a ruling class background but took up the cause of the working class.
- Though the absolute level of social mobility has grown, there has been no change in the relative mobility rates between the middle and working classes.
- It shows the splendour of Europe's royal families while documenting the poverty of the working classes.
- The least likely to reach a later retirement age are from the manual working class.
- He suggests that Marx lost his faith in the ability of the working class to fight for change.
- But it is clear, if sometimes understated, that the Resistance relied largely on the left and the working classes.
- Living standards, however, have plummeted for the middle and working classes.
- The capitalist class are spoken for, the working class in big numbers are sitting this one out.
- He did not ignore the working class, but he made no attempt to help it organise.
- In turn it is the working class who are the main victims of sectarian division.
- For the working class, the fact that there is free association is very important indeed.
1(person/family) de clase obrera(person/family) de clase trabajadora(area) obrero
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.