In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mundialmente famosode fama mundial
- The world-famous painting stolen from a museum in Norway appears to have turned up safe and sound - in a cobbler's shop in Norden.
- Shops, bars, restaurants and arcades could soon be built on Southend's world-famous pier, it was revealed today.
- At the same time, many world-famous luxury brands have targeted China as a major growth market for the next decade and beyond.
- But in the late 1970s it was home to a poltergeist who became world-famous.
- And now the world-famous circus is being banned from performing in the town where it attracted crowds of 2,000 a day.
- Later, this place would become world-famous, people travelling from all over the globe to see it.
- The medieval statues that line the world-famous Charles Bridge in Prague have seen a lot of history in the past 650 years.
- Plans for regeneration of the world-famous hotel were given the green light by Lancaster City councillors this week.
- There will be a chance next month to share the musical memories of world-famous tenor Thomas Round.
- Built in 1823, the palace has a distinct Indian flavour and you can't help but see links with the world-famous Taj Mahal.
- To the east, the world-famous Forth Bridge dominates, with the pretty villages of South and North Queensferry to either side.
- The world-famous Vienna Boys' Choir has departed from more than 500 years tradition to perform pop and rock music.
- The man who helped create York's world-famous Jorvik Viking Centre has offered to help save the Mystery Plays.
- The world-famous airshow, saved this year by a News Shopper-led consortium, will go ahead in 2004 as hoped.
- The world-famous stone, situated high in the battlements of the castle, dates back to 1314.
- An entire section is devoted to the artist's commanding deer paintings including the world-famous Monarch of the Glen.
- The theatre became world-famous for staging protest theatre throughout the repressive apartheid years.
- The move opens the way for the world-famous Tiptree company to bring in about 90 foreign students to pick the strawberry crop.
- Ski rental services, which provide ski equipment from world-famous brands, are also not in short supply.
- For such a world-famous city, Liverpool has yet to host a world-class restaurant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.