In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1potencia mundial femenino
- One hundred years ago, Britain would have been a natural leader in such an enterprise, being a world power with a vast empire and a first-class navy.
- These opposing tendencies must be resolved in some way if the country is to move toward the world power status that its people have always sought.
- However, the primary aim of the EU has always been to promote peaceful cooperation between European nations, not to create a new world power.
- India in particular is a world power in its own right, rivalling the EU in influence.
- His late writings examined the emergence of Russia as a world power, opening an era of global imperialism and war.
- It's also reasserting itself as a major world power in international sports such as cricket and rugby.
- In 1868 Japan was a pre-industrial society; less than 40 years later it was a world power.
- Spain became the greatest world power during Europe's Age of Discovery.
- Spain became a world power and the centre of a vast empire.
- Is it any surprise, then, that it became a significant world power?
- In geographic extent, population size, and wealth, the region was an obvious candidate for world power and influence.
- I seriously question whether the United States could have become a world power without a strong federal government.
- The new Germany took another step towards developing its status as a world power.
- The country is really a young country and they are not used to being a world power.
- This nation, once a mighty world power, is being systematically stripped of all its wealth and influence, and no-one bats an eyelid.
- The rise of the United States as a world power after 1945 was of paramount importance in international politics.
- Emperor Meiji initiated instituted wide sweeping political, civil and social reforms which transformed Japan into a significant world power.
- Well, we are a world power, by virtue of history, and by virtue of our military power.
- The British Empire was the world power that mattered in most of Asia, in Africa, and on the high seas.
- More to the point, France was no longer a world power, and its relationship with its colonies was particularly fraught.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.