In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Conditions are now worsening as the days become shorter and the roads icier.
- Economic indicators started to worsen in September with the increase of fuel prices.
- These policies have worsened already deteriorating social conditions in the state.
- Now she fears unless he is brought home soon he may slump into depression and his condition could worsen.
- Experts predict that the situation could worsen next month because of adverse weather conditions.
- During the dry season the condition of the rivers worsens as water levels drop.
- As their finances worsened, Monet fell behind with the rent and was unable to pay the servants' wages.
- His parents Derrick and Evelyn gave up their jobs to become his full-time carers as his condition worsened.
- His last X-ray in June last year revealed his condition had not worsened.
- But his condition worsened and became terminal when the cancer spread to his lymphatic glands.
- Over the coming period, as the economic situation inevitably worsens, these demands will only intensify.
- As Ma's condition worsens, the siblings are forced to face up to various family tensions.
- As the tiny girl's condition worsened, the Proctors longed for a donor to help give their daughter a fresh chance.
- In January last year his condition worsened when his left eye became infected and he was left totally blind.
- Taking a sympathetic approach helps while an aggressive one worsens situations.
- Drugs reduce the symptoms and prevent the condition worsening while some patients are fitted with pacemakers.
- He was left with no steerage in force seven gales and the situation worsened when all power and communications were lost.
- The proposed bank restructuring will dramatically worsen this economic situation.
- A lifeboat was due to stay close to the vessel overnight in case conditions worsened.
- In the second half with both teams tiring and the conditions worsening it was down to who wanted to win the game more.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.