In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lucha femeninobefore noun wrestling match — combate de lucha (libre) masculino
- His programme began with roller skating and wrestling, though not at the same time.
- Like soccer, bicycling, boxing, and wrestling are popular working-class sports.
- They also showed scenes from some kind of fair in Mongolia with lots of people doing Mongolian wrestling and horse racing.
- These situations would include sport matches in wrestling and judo where people are fighting with resistance.
- General pushing strength is useful to all athletes who participate in contact sports such as boxing, football, rugby and wrestling.
- In high school, gymnastics and wrestling had an early hold on Stephan's athletic aspirations.
- I wasn't training with weights to get better in football or wrestling.
- He took part in all sorts of games including wrestling, shooting, weight throwing and other sports.
- Get to as many tournaments as you can and support the sport of women's wrestling.
- In college, he participated in nearly every activity available, including wrestling, drama, and writing.
- With the rugby and soccer, we have phenomenal athletes and wrestling could be really big here.
- No longer is football any less in popularity in Japan as compared to sumo wrestling or baseball, which had for long been the most sought after sporting activity in the country.
- In our western culture we can date the development of martial arts such as archery and wrestling to ancient Greece.
- Tennis got the chop while sports such as rifle-shooting, kabadi, wrestling and volleyball received the nod.
- He said he hoped his age would inspire both the young and old with interest in wrestling to get actively involved in helping to revive the sport.
- He threw himself into sports, primarily wrestling, and he succeeded in that until a pretty serious knee injury took him out of the sport.
- Among the settled Fulani, there is a variety of traditional local sports and games, including wrestling and boxing.
- Strength gained by doing this exercise is needed in sports such as wrestling and football to grab and hold or pull in your opponent.
- Sam is into wrestling and baseball and playing Playstation video games.
- The movie is about the sport of high school wrestling, and Jimi, smart guy that he is, loaded the roles with Olympic and well-known wrestlers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.