In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(script)escritura femeninocuneiform writing — escritura cuneiforme femenino
- Is this grand sum due to the quality of her writing or the current hunger for Canadian literature?
- On top of a good foundation of acting talent, the show was also blessed with quality writing.
- She did praise my writing and presented me with many opportunities to stretch my skills.
- The question came from an editor interested in improving the quality of writing at her newspaper.
- Dr. Sartor provided wise counsel and a keen eye for quality writing for many years.
- There are vast differences of thought and style within classical writing.
- I hope you enjoy this month's crop of great reading and inspiring writing.
- Not to trivialize his work, but one of the reasons I believe his work is so popular is the aphoristic style of his writing.
- Please don't think, by the way, that I object to complex writing or to unusual words or phrases.
- But Gee uses this as an excuse to replay some tired stereotypes which undermine the genuine satirical quality of her writing.
- The magazine is notable for the quality of its writing as well as the way it engages the books reviewed.
- His writing must contain unlimited implications which appear outside the text.
- The characters are fairly horrible yet Thomas coaxes enough style out of his writing to keep the pages turning.
- At times, Darwin worried that his writing sounded too literary and feared that his metaphors would lead readers astray.
- I have always said that unclear writing is a sign of unclear thinking.
- This fascinating book by the leading authority on its subject is outstanding for the quality of both its writing and its illustrations.
- Banerji has a wonderful prose style - her writing is fluid and confident and often extremely imaginative.
- Oh, his writing has a certain style and he can say a simple thing.
- The writing embodies the literary skill of an author who has been publishing for over half a century.
- He makes this point in his Clarkson style in a brilliant piece of writing for the Sunday Times.
2(written material)the wall was covered in writing — la pared estaba llena de pintadas / de graffiti
- the writing's rather blurred — la letra está algo borrosa
- in writing — por escrito
- can I have it in writing? — ¿me lo puede dar por escrito?
- to put sth in writing — poner algo por escrito
- writing materials — artículos de escritorio
3Britanico(handwriting)letra femeninoI can't read your writing — no entiendo tu letra
- in his/your own writing — de su/tu puño y letra
- Squinting his eyes Kaerin read a particularly difficult word, the writing slanted and close together to almost look like a lone blob of ink.
- When she opened the piece of paper written in fancy writing was an invitation addressed to Kelly Wiston.
- The first word was in Joey's awkward writing, but someone had finished the letter for him.
- As Aidan began to read the letter out, Jordan tore his envelope open and read the scrawled writing.
- According to the principles of calligraphy, writing should be upright or slanting to the right.
- He muttered as he reached for his bag and pulled out a yellow legal pad covered in scrawled writing.
- Written in red ink, in my father's slanted, tiny writing, were five words, repeated over and over.
- The writing seemed oddly familiar, but Sakura couldn't remember who wrote like that.
- While jumping into the garment, I read the writing scrawled on the paper.
- Many of them were written in crayon in David's clumsy writing, with each letter picked out in a colour different from the letter preceding it.
- At the bottom of the letter was some hand-written writing saying she would like to come to our school.
- He went into the kitchen in hopes to find her only to find a note scribbled in her writing.
- In his lap was a Manila folder, Italian writing scribbled all over on various notes and documents.
- Her eyes skimmed the familiar writing and descended knowingly on that one sentence that seemed to haunt her desperately.
- The only other handwriting that we have been able to identify is the writing on the boards or doors at Mr Wilkins flat.
- Some sort of writing had been scrawled over one side, and it looked like some ancient language.
- The writing seemed familiar but he couldn't quite put his thumb on whose exactly it was.
- I had known how to read and write that type of writing since I was a little girl.
- He produced three slightly dirty envelopes with the familiar writing of Jacob Ryan.
- Occasionally a writer may vary the slant of her writing, with letters pointing in all directions.
4(act of composing)she earns a lot from her writing — gana mucho (dinero) escribiendo
- writing takes up a lot of my time — paso mucho tiempo escribiendo
- at the time of writing — en el momento de escribir estas líneas
5(written composition)literatura femeninoan excellent piece of writing — un trabajo excelente
- Imtiaz has based many of her writings on her childhood experiences in Scotland.
- Gottlob Frege's writings have had a profound influence on contemporary thought.
- An annotated bibliography of his writings on Cornish folklore is also presented.
- Stevenson's Scotland is a collection of the author's writings on his native land.
- His spare but passionate writings have been an inspiration to a whole generation.
- We know from the writings of Tacitus that the weather in Britain was terrible.
- From the writings of Seneca, we know that the Romans spent large sums of money building their baths.
- The Jewish prayer book is drawn from the writings of the Jewish people across the ages.
- I never wanted this blog to be a diary - it was supposed to be an outlet for my various writings.
- Ficino gave particular consideration to the melancholic temperament in his writings.
- It remains an indispensable source for all students of Virginia Woolf's writings.
- There is also a large body of published English writings by non-English authors.
- Dawkins brings his clear and concrete habits of mind to all of his writings.
- He left no writings, but his arguments were recorded in many volumes by his pupil Clitomachus.
- Chomsky's political writings are littered with violations of these conventions.
- Evidence concerning Colins's character can be found in the writings of Voltaire.
- In Paris, he was exposed to the modern thought and writings of Bergson and Nietzsche.
- His writings are a model of lucidity and a pleasure to read, though he confessed that he was a reluctant writer.
- I find an echo of this view in the writings of various jurists and commentators on the law.
- He relates in his writings that he developed some medicines which were almost miraculous cures.
6writings pluralthe writings of Swift — la obra de Swift
- her philosophical writings — sus escritos filosóficos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.