In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Being Xmas it was turkey, salad, stuffing, crusty bread, and didn't it go down well!
- One of my Xmas presents was a waterproof radio that you can listen to in the shower.
- A coach took us to Lamberhurst to have our Xmas dinner at The Brown Trout, a very enjoyable outing and a really good meal.
- Here, I'd like to put on record that the abbreviation Xmas for Christmas is deplorable.
- I'd love to send you a Xmas card to say hi and seasons greetings blah blah, that kinda thing.
- We will be putting the Xmas tree up today, and probably hanging the cards up as well.
- I have a new digital camera on my Xmas list as my current one is knackered.
- If we're still here when it does we'll decorate it and it'll be our Xmas tree.
- This is an ideal Xmas present for those early shoppers and is guaranteed to be a good night's read.
- It wasn't until the Xmas when I was ten that they finally gave it up and admitted I was right.
- It's not just a question of the core message of Christianity being lost in the Xmas diversions.
- However, I do hear you, and I promise to remove your name from my personal Xmas card list at the end of the year.
- Last week my good buddy Gord, from Edmonton, sent me a Xmas card and then yesterday he called me.
- It all began with an innocent Xmas dinner, which turned into a rather debauched affair.
- Welcome back and hopefully your Xmas and New Year holidays were packed with adventure.
- It was one of those presents that have impact far beyond the usual Xmas present run.
- One Xmas, we packed the boys up and headed north with 4 other families to stay for a week in a motel on the coast.
- I get paid a bit more for 10 weeks, which will be handy given the post Xmas debt I seem to have accumulated.
- I went to the Xmas / engagement party of my old flat mate Nicola Walker last night.
- There was a happy Xmas photo of Chris and his wife in chilly Edinburgh attached which I reproduce here.
- Yesterday evening I sang carols for a company Xmas drinks event at the Abbotsford Convent.
- I've dreaded this morning, it was the day I had to go and get the Xmas shopping, not the presents but the food and drink.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.