In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de un año
- She talks about her father's arrest and year-long imprisonment before the family came to Canada.
- MAN of the match Kelvin Lockwood made a dramatic comeback to football after a year-long struggle with arthritis.
- Russell has previously helped to open a similar project in the basement of a church in Loughborough during a year-long project.
- A year-long series of events are planned in 2007 to mark 100 years of the Scouts.
- A year-long secretarial course was followed by six years of night school and a first degree at Southampton university.
- After a year-long courtship, a diamond and sapphire ring from India sealed the deal.
- During a year-long trial period 350 tons of glass were deposited in Bolton Council's five bottle banks.
- A man who is being treated for leukaemia is planning to run two marathons as part of a year-long push to raise cash for a cancer charity.
- The mother of a two-year-old girl has died of cancer after a brave, year-long battle against the disease.
- They had waged an almost year-long battle, supported by the Epsom Comet, to keep it open.
- Her mother died at the hospice in March after a brave year-long battle against cancer.
- A year-long battle to save it ended in defeat earlier this year.
- A spectacular sculptural firework display will light the evening sky to mark the start of year-long celebrations.
- A sub-postmistress has won a year-long battle to be paid the minimum wage by the Post Office in a decision set to cost millions.
- The year-long research has been funded through the Arts Council's New Audiences fund.
- Two million visitors are expected to visit Salzburg this year to join in the year-long celebrations.
- Celebrities are launching a year-long campaign today to put pressure on governments to eradicate world poverty.
- Despite a year-long investigation, the identity of 12 of the 32 terrorists is still not known.
- An inshore lifeboat will be temporarily stationed at the museum throughout the year-long construction period.
- Planet York is a year-long initiative aimed at making York one of the leading cities for energy efficiency in the UK.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.