In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ayerI spoke to him yesterday — ayer hablé con él
- yesterday morning — ayer a la mañana / de mañana
- they left yesterday week — ayer hizo una semana que se fueron
- I was welcome yesterday, but today I feel like the three of you are hiding something from me.
- Our trip over the Pennines went very well yesterday, good job we did it yesterday as today the M62 is blocked due to an accident.
- Speaking of stats: do you think they tell you how many people visited your beloved blog today, yesterday, last week, last month?
- His reaction is the same today as it was yesterday, that he wants to get to the bottom of this.
- I'll ask him questions about what we did today, yesterday, and about the adventures that we've had in the past.
- The ceremonies were taking place over two days at York Minster, yesterday and today, and saw students graduate in a variety of subjects.
- I am doing a research paper on Women's voting rights; yesterday and today.
- The crew of a nuclear submarine was given a hero's welcome yesterday as it arrived home from the Gulf.
- Detectives arrested the boy in Bradford yesterday and he was today being held at Lawcroft House police station awaiting interview.
- There is many western places in this town so I had some porridge yesterday and some muesli today which is really helping things.
- However, one of his lawyers said yesterday that today's court date will still have to be honoured since it was ordered.
- Still, things have been far smoother here today than they were yesterday.
- Mr Dillon did not return calls to The Guardian yesterday or today.
- And they came to the House yesterday and today with the recommendation that was passed.
- There was an upswing of violence again today, yesterday, and the day before.
- Well, I think I'm considerably less grumpy and irritable today than yesterday.
- I think it was today or yesterday President Chirac essentially backed that up.
- I actually listened to Thought for the Day on Today yesterday.
- Fatal crash investigators combed the scene yesterday and would return today to continue their investigations.
- Having had to offer congratulations to one celeb couple yesterday, today The Sun is back on form, stirring up a spot of trouble.
1the events of yesterday — los acontecimientos del día de ayer formal
- yesterday was a busy day — ayer fue un día de mucha actividad
- the day before yesterday — anteayer
- all our yesterdays — nuestro pasado
- I raise a difficulty that we have from yesterday concerning today's answers.
- And I guess just looking at today and yesterday, what do you think of the overall process?
- The day before yesterday and today, and both on the final climb to the finish.
- Staff at the estate agents spent today and yesterday contacting owners, but there are still a number of people they have been unable to speak to.
- October 26 1999 I missed the previous day's filming so today I sit and watch yesterday's rushes.
- My official photographer so far has released only this picture from yesterday's music fest.
- I slept for most of yesterday and today, cos am utterly exhausted.
- Today's announcement follows yesterday's suspension of the outfit's shares.
- My rest day from yesterday ended today, finally, at about eight o'clock in the evening.
- In the insonmiac flux I live in, I seem to have finally conquered time: today is yesterday is tomorrow.
- The flood watch included Elvington Beck, where the water had visibly risen today since yesterday, and Stamford Bridge.
- Between yesterday and today I have been completing my preparations for departure on Tuesday.
- In yesterday's hearing, a senior FBI official and another senior CIA analyst agreed.
- After yesterday, this is probably the nicest day we've had thus far this year.
- Air France scrubbed the same flight set for yesterday and today from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris to Dulles.
- The third one outdid them all by going out with his car into a riot ridden area (there was rioting in most of Karachi today due to yesterday's events).
- My work computer went wonky now and I lost most of yesterday and today to trying to get my environment working again.
- On a day like today… after yesterday, I tend to reflect, internalize, and re-address the balance.
- We did release a statement early on and then a few days later we began to talk about it, starting with yesterday and today.
- I think I can put at least some of my decision on comments below down to the fact I was coming down ill with something and have had to spend yesterday and today at home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.