In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1also yew treetejo masculino
- The forest at Weston is over 30 acres and contains a whole variety of species but John's favourites are the hard woods like the elm and the yew.
- Junipers and yews are the most commonly planted of the narrow-leaved evergreens.
- The widely used anticancer drug was derived from the Pacific yew, a tree found in temperate rain forests.
- However, only three are native to these shores: juniper, Scots pine and yew.
- Although box and yews can be clipped into formal shapes, most shade plants appear at home in that naturalistic setting.
- The wood from the yew makes excellent bows.
- Some ancient yews have been cherished and loved, but many more are under threat, mainly by humans.
- They cut away the dead wood, the ivy, the Russian vine, leaving a nearly naked yew and Scots pine, which may well survive and regenerate.
- Many of the needle evergreens including yew, arborvitae, hemlock, and incense cedar make fine hedges.
- A total of 23 mature trees - including yew, oak and fir - have been destroyed.
- Clipped yew, beech and hornbeam are lovely.
- A simple circle of juvenile yews will eventually knit together to enclose a calming circle of pure green.
- Species with random branching, such as arborvitae, juniper, yew, and false cypress, have limbs that occur all along the trunk.
- Objections were raised over the removal of the yews.
- Rev Snuggs claimed just three of the yew tree's poisonous berries would be enough to kill a child.
- The 10-acre garden of cypresses, yews and quickset hedges is called the Domaine des Colombia.
- The yews burned.
- I will also have to abandon plans for replacing the yew hedge.
- Many gardens and parks contain poisonous plants such as yew and laburnum.
- For background planting, especially if you have plenty of space, grow yews, hawthorn, holly, elder and Viburnum opulus, the Guelder rose.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.